A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > Generic A8 / S8 forums > A8 / S8 Generic Posts

A8 / S8 Generic Posts All other useful info

Old 6th May 2010, 04:28 PM

Default What Next?

So I'm stuck on what I should upgrade on my car next. I have allocated about a grand for my next upgrade which I will do next month or so.
I have thought about Xenon Plus lights, but these are going to cost me at least a grand from Audi. Good idea, yes/no? I think my car looks 'low rent' from the front without them.
Another idea is KW coilovers. £1k fitted. Should make the ride a little smoother and the springs and shocks in my car are now 138k miles old so probably not performing as they should and James's car looks the sex with them on.
Then I have thought about an exhaust, after hearing a B7 RS 4 recently with a non res Milltek I am sold, I'm sure Clive will back me up here. About £1k fitted too.
Then theres solar, I was going to get this fitted a while back but A8 Parts don't do fitting anymore and I don't feel confident doing it so gave it a miss, shame.
Brakes, some big ass beefy ones. Again, likely to be around the £1k mark.
Squirt mode, ain't got a clue how much an 02 TCU is likely to cost. But I will find out, will also need the 02 gearbox surround so if A8 Parts have it in stock I may well do this.
So which would you go for, and does anyone have any other suggestions?

Or, LPG. I work an 18 mile round trip from home which I do every Mon - Fri at get about 20MPG. I will probably do about 8k miles a year at most, worth it?
I somehow did 14k miles since March though but have vowed to use the car less. (I should probably add at this point that the A8 I brought now belongs to my brother in law who is using it do do 30k miles a year in it and loves it)

Edit: Or should I just part ex upto a V8 TDI D3 and map it?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds

Last edited by Singh; 6th May 2010 at 04:41 PM.
Old 6th May 2010, 04:48 PM

you should go for the d3 4.2tdi or the 5.2 v10. if i had your money burning a hole in my pocket then it would be the s8 with the b&o sound system
Old 6th May 2010, 05:16 PM

When the D3 S8 drops to under 20k or less I really want one in a few years with B&O and ceramic brakes and the reason is they sound so nice with a Milltek exhaust. But until then I can't stomach the depreciation.
Just listen to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kfXq...os=RKPDjBy1lWM

If I sold up it would be a V8 TDI D3 or a E46 M3, going more towards the M3 as it would be something a lot different and a nice stepping stone to a RS4/6.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 6th May 2010, 06:22 PM

The D3 feels like a completely different car to the D2.. Doesn't feel as connected as the D2, but mine feels like it handles a load better than my D2 did.

If I could have found one with the spec I wanted and not having silly miles, I'd be driving a 4.0 TDI at the minute. Looks like my next move will be a 4.2TDI or S8 (maybe a W12 if the company scheme stays the same).

With the mileage you do and the possibility of swapping the car, I'd leave LPG out

Squirt mode... Meh.. The D3 has it and I've used it a whole once (on purpose, did drop it in the by accident once), I prefer tip as they both change up at the same point, but I can force it back down a gear once it changes up.

Brakes - could be a good one, but do you drive the car hard enough, often enough to notice it.

If you're keeping the car, I'd say suspension is the one you'd notice more day to day, and it'll improve the look a bit if you lower by another inch or so.

I know.. I know..

Old 6th May 2010, 07:18 PM

i would go with the kw coilovers or the big brakes
Old 6th May 2010, 07:55 PM

I'd go for brakes first and then a full wrap in ibis white personally

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 6th May 2010, 08:51 PM

Thanks Richard, your input on D2 vs D3 was very interesting.
Oli if I went with an Ibis white wrap I would have to have black grill, wing mirrors and dark grey wheels!
Swinging more towards suspension now...

Oh, just got a price for Xenon Plus lights £720 each
Old 7th May 2010, 11:22 AM

exhaust....sound is everything. I am fancying a full cat-back Supersprint with crossover pipe - have a look on the web.

http://www.supersprintuk.com/quattro...0_715_597.html

About £1k all in

I think PaulW runs a Supersprint back box. Looks nice.

Do you REALLY drive that hard that often that your brakes are inadequate? Get some DS2500s and a brake block from the guy in the state to start with...

Zip
Old 7th May 2010, 11:40 AM

I say:
- Hold out for second hand xenon plus's.
- Solar sun roof from A8 parts and get ben to fit it
- new front pads, and the phaeton brake duct upgrade
- KW coilies
- Milltek system

i know that exceeds your budget, but it will be a weapon, with a ton of neat touches.

Alternatively, sell the wheels to me, and then trade the car for a D3. But imho theres plenty of time to own a D3 when the prices are a bit lower.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 7th May 2010, 12:06 PM

Mr. K, that's probably what I will do.

Zip - Not really, I get 20mpg on my route to work! But occasionally I do like to open her up a little and then the brakes feel very lacking. I will try a better pad/brake block combo though.

Then again I could just put the money towards an M3, anyone driven one?