A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 11th November 2014, 09:41 AM

Any other effects of this?
Old 11th November 2014, 12:17 PM

Nothing else really mate.
I've heard of D3 tail lights being coded as USA ones and they dim when indicating (FL ones in that example), but it didn't work on mine, either Canada or US coding.
Not sure if I would like that but was hoping to see it before I make my mind up.
Even with brake light on they did not dim

Could any one check on their car USA coding (change last digit in 09 Central Electrics from 1 to 3) ????

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 11th November 2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
I've heard of D3 tail lights being coded as USA ones and they dim when indicating (FL ones in that example), but it didn't work on mine, either Canada or US coding.
Not sure if I would like that but was hoping to see it before I make my mind up.

Could any one check on their car USA coding (change last digit in 09 Central Electrics from 1 to 3) ????
That's maybe something to do with the extra wire that I stupidly spent time running for my light fitments so I can try for you as I left the extra wires in.

Old 11th November 2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
OK, so after 11 months and 51 weeks Thanks to Scott solution is very very simple.

Ignition ON --> VCDS ON --> [09] Central Electronics --> CODING --> change the LAST DIGIT to 2 (Northern Countries, Sweden, Finland, Norway) --> DO IT --> Exit Controller --> DONE

Thanks Scott
Great job make a sticky?

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 16th November 2014, 01:58 PM

Quote:

Iv'e not had a chance to look at this yet Marcin but have you seen the rear light setting in here

Old 16th November 2014, 04:12 PM

Hi Del
No worries at all and actually don't bother with connecting additional wires, I'm not that keen on US style tail lights anyway.
But if you can, could you try US coding for me and see if that works on your car???
Just see if the tail light dims when indicating and with brake light on and off.
Cheers Del

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 16th November 2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Hi Del
No worries at all and actually don't bother with connecting additional wires, I'm not that keen on US style tail lights anyway.
But if you can, could you try US coding for me and see if that works on your car???
Just see if the tail light dims when indicating and with brake light on and off.
Cheers Del
I will get round to it, but I have the wiring already run in and connected from when I fitted the taillights.

I never bothered to remove it as its not doing any harm.

So it may well behave differently as I have the wiring connected.

Old 16th November 2014, 05:11 PM

I see.....and yeah, it will be difficult to say if yours work, is it the extra wires or not.
No rush Del, I'm not that bothered anyway and I appreciate your help mate

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 20th March 2015, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Ignition ON --> VCDS ON --> [09] Central Electronics --> CODING --> change the LAST DIGIT to 2 (Northern Countries, Sweden, Finland, Norway) --> DO IT --> Exit Controller --> DONE
Reverted mine for summer - set reminder for October
Old 20th March 2015, 09:58 PM

I have done this by telling the car that she is Canadian.
The fogs are now DRLs and the side/tails come on as well with ignition.
Switching side/tails on with the normal light switch only turns the instrument lighting on.
Turning the light switch to headlights turns the fogs off and the headlights on.
No dimming at all.

I have some LEDs that I want to mount under the fog grills that will be fed from an ignition supply and the side light supply. They will be full with ignition but dim with side/tails lit. I will then tell the car she is no longer Canadian (i.e. ROW).

I stood in front of the grill one evening and pointed my right forefinger at the car and in a very stern voice said "You are now a Canadian".
Of course, just like talking to SWMBO that did not work so I had to resort to using VCDS.

2014 A8L D4 4.0TFSI Gold (Sticker says "Beige") Can't leave you in a black smoke cloud anymore..
In progress, Nothing left to do.

Gone 2004 A8 D3 3.0 TDI. Ebony Pearl Black (with little bits of other colours and glitter)