A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 24th January 2010, 10:06 PM
guinea

Default wierd...need advice please

Ever since i had new discs/pads and rear callipers ive been getting a squealing on the brakes..
Took it back to the garage after having my breaks done and they changed the pads and checked all round and yet it still squeals
got back today and wipped the front wheels off and used a micrometer on the discs and there bang on and ive got loads of pad left..but..i did notice that once you take the wheels off.. the disc has slight movement on drivers side but a lot more on the passengers side.
the calliper seems to have slight play in its connection to the shock...checked the bolts and there tight.
would this cause the squealing when breaking....and also sometimes you get a slight squeal while driving along...is something sticking on.....???????
Old 27th January 2010, 03:00 PM

Hi, what model A8 and what year there are a few different brake calipers fitted
Old 27th January 2010, 03:16 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

You can expect play in the disks once the wheel is off as they are held in place by the wheel bolts.

The calipers are sliding units (except Brembos) and you may be able to move the cliper a bit, but the caliper carrier should be bolted solidly. Certain combinations of pad and disk squeel no matter what you do. EBC is a popular squeeler but the extra performance makes up for this.

Try a few emergency stops once you have run the pads in and see if the squeeling goes away.

There are several threads on here about our brakes. Have a look through the sticky.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 27th January 2010, 04:32 PM

Rears... Had this in mine.. Look at the caliper mounts and see if you are getting any sign of the discs touching them, mine were rubbing slightly for a bit.

I know.. I know..

Old 27th January 2010, 07:59 PM

My (2002 S8) squeals like a banshee. I've had it for almost 12 months and it was a squealer when I got it and despite many and various solutions, it still is.
I have two suggestions for you.
1/ Let it get to you, the inevitable result of which will be insanity
2/ Learn to exploit its many and fascinating properties.
For example, when reversing out of a parking bay in a crowded high street (mine works best in reverse), learn to balance the brake pressure for maximum squeal. With practice its possible to adjust the volume, pitch and duration. I have heard of people performing musical renditions. They are the Maestros of the Brake Squeal. I sadly am not one of these. However I have perfected the Continuous and Nerve wrenching Rearward Squeal (think fingernails on blackboards and simultaneous probing of an un-anaesthetised tooth cavity
I can prolong this delightful noise throughout the entire manoeuvre. And have in this way dispatched a few OAP's, who had thought themselves deaf. The sight of crowds of people wincing and cringing is quite a pleasant antidote.
The double glazing that comes with the car does offer a fair bit of protection, however on occasion I leave my window open in order to enjoy the enthusiastic comments from the happy throng. 'Ow!' and 'F**k*ng C*nt!' being regulars, along with, ' Your brakes are making a hell of racket mate'. Do they really think that I can't hear them.
On the minus, last weekend my eldest grand daughter (yes I'm an old git) took to imitating them. Hmmm
Finally, friends' and family always know when I'm arriving. Now all they need do is take the hint and get the kettle on sooner.
Ben at AVP has cottoned on. He locks up and hides!
Happy squealing!

Last edited by tonupkid; 27th January 2010 at 10:48 PM.
Old 27th January 2010, 08:58 PM

I rang Ben (AVP) up about squealing discs on my A8, I had brand new genuine Audis discs and pads fitted so it was nothing to do with cheap pads/discs. He told me to get an aersol type brake cleaner and to spray it on the disc (not caliper or anywhere else). I didn't try it but if anyone wants to give that a go, please can you report back?
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 27th January 2010, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonupkid View Post
Mine (2002 S8) squeal like a banshee. I've had it for almost 12 months and it was a squealer when I got it and despite many and various solutions, it still is.
I have two suggestions for you.
1/ Let it get to you, the inevitable result of which will be insanity
2/ Learn to exploit its many and fascinating properties.
For example, when reversing out of a parking bay in a crowded high street (mine works best in reverse), learn to balance the brake pressure for maximum squeal. With practice its possible to adjust the volume, pitch and duration. I have heard of people performing musical renditions. They are the Maestros of the Brake Squeal. I sadly am not one of these. However I have perfected the Continuous and Nerve wrenching Rearward Squeal (think fingernails on blackboards and simultaneous probing of an un-anaesthetised tooth cavity
I can prolong this delightful noise throughout the entire manoeuvre. And have in this way dispatched a few OAP's, who had thought themselves deaf. The sight of crowds of people wincing and cringing is quite a pleasant antidote.
The double glazing that comes with the car does offer a fair bit of protection, however on occasion I leave my window open in order to enjoy the enthusiastic comments from the happy throng. 'Ow!' and 'F**k*ng C*nt!' being regulars, along with, ' Your brakes are making a hell of racket mate'. Do they really think that I can't hear them.
On the minus, last weekend my eldest grand daughter (yes I'm an old git) took to imitating them. Hmmm
Finally, friends' and family always know when I'm arriving. Now all they need do is take the hint and get the kettle on sooner.
Ben at AVP has cottoned on. He locks up and hides!
Happy squealing!
This post made my evening. I actually had tears rolling down my eyes

Mine's also a squeeler...oh how i hate it!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group