A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 6th November 2011, 12:55 PM

Default My rnse install into my pf a8

Well I managed to obtain a double din fascia from a8parts a couple weeks ago

At present, I have just managed to cut the rnse fascia down to size....

I am now waiting for some other bits....

1.I have decided to try update the wood interior effect with the carbon fibre effect...so now waiting for the roll to come through.

2.In the mean time I need to work out which adapter I need to connect the rnse to my car

3.Cos the pf doesnt have canbus...I have ordered Facelift instrument cluster from a8 parts....(I have found a diy on line on how to link into the canbus wiring so hopefully all should go well.

4.My car didnt have satnav...so I will need to source the satnav module to go on to the boot also....That should be fun....

Watch this space....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rnse cut down to fit.jpg
Views:	1314
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	2474  
Old 6th November 2011, 02:22 PM

I'd just put a modern gps antenna behind the dash - a LOT less hassle and prob more effective too. Should be able to get 1 from wherever you get your wiring adaptor from
Old 6th November 2011, 03:00 PM

Default Gps reciever

I saw those on the kufatec website...but I wasn't sure it would work due to the double windows.

But if it does then great...I ll do that n put a box on the back for the look in time.
Old 6th November 2011, 03:59 PM

It should work fine - it'll be 'looking' through the windscreen from under the dash anyway. It'll be easy enough to test when you 1st install the RNS-E and you can check how many satellites it's picking up in one of the nav screens. About 6 ought to be average - can always compare to Amar's RS6 RNS-E if it happens to be close by to check it's getting comparable reception for the location

I wouldn't bother with the box on the tailgate - it's just something else to leak etc if you retrofit.
Old 6th November 2011, 04:08 PM

Default Leaks

I didn't consider leaks through the bonnet...I ll just go with the reciever under the dash for now
Old 6th November 2011, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RanjA8 View Post
I didn't consider leaks through the bonnet...I ll just go with the reciever under the dash for now
Bonnet? You weren't looking to mount the OEM GPS receiver there, were you? Or you mean the trunk lid?

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 6th November 2011, 06:39 PM

Depends which windscreen you have. Test with standalone SatNav like TomTom or the one in phone inside car. If it works then internal aerial will be fine.

I had heat reflecting windscreen in mine and SatNav was not working inside car. I have since changed windscreen to regular and it works fine.

8 history:
2006 A8 Sport 4.2TDI quattro SOLD,
1997 S8, reached end of life with gearbox failure
Old 6th November 2011, 07:47 PM

My OEM satnav aerial on the boot lid packed up ages ago and I couldn't (then) find a replacement at a "reasonable" price.
So I bought a thin little (30mm square) black cheap one off eBay and mounted it at the very bottom of the rear screen on the outside, so it's just in front of the OEM one. Gets a good signal and you just don't notice it's there.

Connecting it up I went a rather circuituous route, actually taking the cable under the boot rim rubber seal round to the nearside hinge mechanisms then followed the route (in reverse) of the original cable (retained) into the boot lid and connected it in there. It was just easier to work on that way.
The cable is very thin (2 or 3 mm) so no problems at all, but the duct tape holding it in places is less than elegant, though only visible with the boot open.

The connector was different to the audi OEM one so I actually cut the OEM lead inside the boot lid and fitted a matching male/female connector pair into that of the same type as the new aerial. That way I can reconnect an OEM aerial if I get one in future, or easily replace this one (which I have once so far).
Old 6th November 2011, 09:21 PM

You will need to have the facelift instrument cluster coded to the car I'm quite sure, you should have gone for an S8 one as you get the white dials too and they look much better then an A8 one. Get a £10 GPS receiver from eBay and throw it behind the satnav somewhere, works fine. Worst case scenario as I understand it if the canbus doesn't work then the unit won't switch off when you pull the key out or light up when you put the lights on, it won't display sat nav instructions on a D2 with or without canbus anyway, just track names. Your going to have to make it work now you've cut it to size. It looks good in there. Speak to Ben Wardle at Shark Performance about coding, he's a top guy.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 7th November 2011, 08:59 PM

That is a great effort mate! Once that's in carbon, that will look very sweet!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group