A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 20th March 2009, 01:01 PM

Hi Simon,

I think i may have the same ones as both of you as i also have the silver lumps on my discs...i think they're part of the caliper.

My pads are 4D0698151AE which seem a bit rarer than the 4d0698151r ones...

Is that the same as you?

I've bought some from the dealer and picking them up tomorrow....125 quid including VAT but i want them now....i've got a big squeel which i'm dying to sort out before i go nuts!

-Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 20th March 2009, 01:09 PM
harpersimon

Hi Oli - yeah it seems a few cars have these pads and setup as attached from VAGCat, not covered on Audi pages that I can see so I am a bit blind. Ska says not too hard to do though. I took the guy out and showed him the bolts holding the current pads in, and he went "Ah.. mm" consulted the computer and came up with the right ones - which aren't the 'standard ones we normally keep sir'
Bit annoying as I wanted to do discs and pads together this weekend. Oh well
Seems Audi randomly put the brake setup they had on the shelf that week on these cars!
Still - my £69 for a set of pads seems ok, and they are Ferodo so can't be that bad for me to abuse. Still going to take it apart this weekend and check the discs - my aim is to reduce vibration i.e. I have warped discs! I hope.. in a way.
P.s. no idea of the Audi part number of the pads, just walked in and said 'give me some A8 pads please'!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	floater.jpg
Views:	627
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	167  

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 21st March 2009 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Embed Grafix
Old 20th March 2009, 06:03 PM

Hi Simon
Sorry I recall saying I would check the size of my discs for you; I've been poorly lately trying to recover buts its slow. Popping pills which mess with my head(also supposed to be making up a list of all my detailing kit for Mike but haen't been able to get to the shed to clear a path in!). But anyway the silver bit on the pads are part of the pad and are wieghts. I paid around £60 for mine as well. Changing the pads is not difficult at all with caliper in situ, but you'll need some serious elbow grease to remove the two bolts holding the caliper if you're changing the discs as well.
Old 21st March 2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ska View Post
you'll need some serious elbow grease to remove the two bolts holding the caliper if you're changing the discs as well.
Couldn't agree more with Ska.

The job is only really possible in my view if you have an extention pole that allows you to get leverage on the bolts.

Even then, you'll still need to stand and dance on the thing before it will move

-Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Old 21st March 2009, 09:24 AM

Yeah I remember having to dance swear and curse when getting these off.
A bigger PITA than these bolts were the wheels bolts on my ford galaxy torqued up by a air gun! I had to borrow a 4ft extension bar from a garage and buy and impact socket then both me and my dad stood on it!!!
Old 21st March 2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
I've bought some from the dealer and picking them up tomorrow....125 quid including VAT but i want them now....i've got a big squeel which i'm dying to sort out before i go nuts!
I take back what i said...

I went to the dealer, they gave me the wrong ones and was told the correct ones are 180 quid incl vat!

Needless to say i didn't get them in the end...

Ska/Simon, which place did you end up getting them from in the end and how much for? what's your verdict and quality (braking performance and non-squeeling are key attributes for me! )

Cheers,

Oli

Old 21st March 2009, 12:01 PM

Did you ask them for a trade discount Oli? They gave me a discount on my grills, cant remember how much know exactly but its worth a try.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 21st March 2009, 06:07 PM

I bought mine from GSF I think they are TRW ones so far no squeal. Breaking not too sure yet still breaking them in. I recall the OE pads being very dear; was quoted £176 to which I looked at the parts guy at the stealers as said your having an Bloody laugh aren't you? His reply was they are a top quality product?!?
I if Audi make them themselves or buy them in....hmmm?
Old 22nd March 2009, 08:28 AM

Thanks chaps...i'll look into GSF!

Ska - don't suppose you remember the GSF part number? ... would make things a lot easier

Cheers,

Oli

Last edited by Oli18; 22nd March 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old 22nd March 2009, 12:13 PM

The ones I had from GSF on my old '8 were squealing and the sensor broke after about a month, the mechanic fitting them also said they were some cheapo quality although GSF said they were OE quality. I probably just got a duff batch
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds