A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Wheels and Tyres

D2 - Wheels and Tyres Refurbing, center caps, tyre brands, tyrefitters - discuss it here

Old 30th March 2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
I've just ordered a set of 4 of those (your wrong ones) for about £12 including delivery from HK!
(they're to go on my PF-style 18" Avus wheels in the winter to "save" the genuine caps which are expensive and difficult to replace)
And the bad news is, they arrived today and don't fit.

Well, not without a bit of "bodging", though at £3 each I'm happy to do that.

For reference the part number is 4BO 601 165 A and the problem is the outer locating ring on the back, with the semicircular indents at various places around its perimeter.
You can't tell from the pictures online but it's actually a bit larger and differently shaped than the correct Avus centre, so needs a bit of sanding down to fit - I haven't done that yet.

What's more the genuine one has a ring with 12 bevelled ridges on its outside that actually make the contact with the alloy (plus the central spring connector which really holds it in place). The alternative one has a slightly larger ring with no external ridges and straight sides, so the whole perimeter needs sanding down to make it bevelled to fit the alloy.

You can see what I mean if you look very carefully at these 2 pictures, the 895... has small slopy "buttresses" outside the large ring, the 4DO has them on the inside:
(Either that or I'll just cut segments out of the ring, it doesn't do much really, just stabilise the edge. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	895601165.JPG
Views:	364
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	5795   Click image for larger version

Name:	4BO601165A.JPG
Views:	340
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	5796  
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 30th March 2013 at 11:42 AM.
Old 30th March 2013, 01:43 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
I like your beers Jim, they normally come in nice glass bottles in little boxes
Mmmmmmm nice glass bottles.....

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 30th March 2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
don't fit. Well, not without a bit of "bodging"
For reference the part number is 4BO 601 165 A
Actually, not with any amount of bodging.
The central clip doesn't quite protrude enough to EVER fit my wheels, by only a few mm.

So, does anyone need 3 of these (non-OEM chinese copies presumably) for the price of P&P and a beer token? I'll throw in the fourth which is now missing the outer ring on the rear so will presumably rotate somewhat.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!
Old 30th March 2013, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenjoe90 View Post
I need a full set of
8D0 601165 K

Did anybody find any at a reasonable price ?

These are the cheapest i can find for a set of 4 : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Audi-Wheel...item2a1bdc3d37
I bought these - the Alu isn't treated FYI so I would recommend lacquering them.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 2nd April 2013, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
Lol if he has the journey the centrecaps would have had through the forum member base is as follows.

IT>Singh>RanjA8>Architex_Ma8tey>Dezzy
It's been a whie now but i have been busy getting sacked.... however the boy and Neil did a deal at ADI last year and i now have a set of 4 caps and refer'b them black. I used a can of black spray paint they're quite awkward to paint because of the recess, i did have photo's but phone got wet and now don't have photot's (also lost the photo's of hitting 200k)

Quote:
And the bad news is, they arrived today and don't fit.

Well, not without a bit of "bodging", though at £3 each I'm happy to do that.

For reference the part number is 4BO 601 165 A and the problem is the outer locating ring on the back, with the semicircular indents at various places around its perimeter.
You can't tell from the pictures online but it's actually a bit larger and differently shaped than the correct Avus centre, so needs a bit of sanding down to fit - I haven't done that yet.

What's more the genuine one has a ring with 12 bevelled ridges on its outside that actually make the contact with the alloy (plus the central spring connector which really holds it in place). The alternative one has a slightly larger ring with no external ridges and straight sides, so the whole perimeter needs sanding down to make it bevelled to fit the alloy.

You can see what I mean if you look very carefully at these 2 pictures, the 895... has small slopy "buttresses" outside the large ring, the 4DO has them on the inside:
(Either that or I'll just cut segments out of the ring, it doesn't do much really, just stabilise the edge. )
My wheels are replica's and the caps are genuine, i had to cut the little buttresses on the cap down so they would fit flush to the wheel.

Bright yellow bus o love.