A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Everything else

D2 - Everything else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 18th February 2012, 11:44 AM

I've had a TPS account since 2008. Lots of savings to be had.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 18th February 2012, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

But i have no username or password so can't use the site.
They should call you within the next few days about setting up an account, ask them for a username and password then. If they do not contact you then you should phone your local branch and speak with them to start the ball rolling

Nite Blue 3.0L SE Quattro
Old 18th February 2012, 12:28 PM

So, i finally got around to doing the outstanding bits...fairly easy stuff really and I was able to be guided through the whole process and do things myself most of the time. I spent £160 incl VAT for hiring a mechanic for 3 hours to show me how it was all done and to teach me a few things...perhaps i would have spent less having it done but you I will now know how to do it all myself and i got free use of their ramp so bonus!

Just a few piccies of the outstanding things:

First off, the car on the ramp...you get a lot of space to put your stuff down on a work bench and the ramps are easy to operate.

1. Oil Filter Change - I'm glad i didn't do that at home as i wouldn't have had the tool to take the filter off - that's now on order for next time! Check out the old filter ...

2. Fuel Filter - the new OEM one was easy enough to fit...like David at A8 Parts mentioned, there can be a fair bit of pressure if you do it after it's recently been driven so worthwhile having a container underneath.

Old fuel filter:

New fuel filter

3. New Bosch Platinum Spark Plugs:

4. Finally, put new oil in - 8 litres of Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40.

I got to replace all the missing undertray clips and bumper clips at the same time so all in all, well pleased.

Car done after the service!

Driving off, it feels a tad smoother and overall i'm really pleased i got to do this myself.

For others thinking about this, i would highly recommend going down this route...you learn so much and it's really satisfying to know that everything is done to a standard that you want!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 18th February 2012 at 12:33 PM.
Old 20th February 2012, 12:38 PM
Banned

I almost always do things like this myself mainly because i dont trust other mecanics to do the job to my standard, taking pride in your job and not cutting corners, im also so fussy that when it comes to MOT time i wont leave the Testers side until the mot is complete an unsupervised car is risky when it comes to most garages, all too often they will string you up for stuff that is not needed and i point blank refuse to leave the car with them and your quite with in your right to do so top right up oli
Old 20th February 2012, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
Oil Filter Change - I'm glad i didn't do that at home as i wouldn't have had the tool to take the filter off - that's now on order for next time! Check out the old filter ...

Oli
What special tool is this then

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Triumph Daytona 675 (2017 reg)

===========================

Gone but not forgotten

Ford Focus ST-2 Mk3 (the wifes) (stolen Oct 2023)

1972 T2 Bay Window Camper (Slow)

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 20th February 2012, 08:57 PM

great report on a great job Oli

Audi S8 2002, Black (even the chrome bits)
Audi RS6 Avant 2008, Daytona Grey
Maserati Granturismo 2008, Metallic Nero Carbonio
Audi S8 2015, Daytona Grey
Old 21st February 2012, 08:13 AM
Banned

as far as i know when i changed my oil it was only the cap of the plastic oil filter housing and it was a 26mm socket job no special tools for a basic service
Old 21st February 2012, 08:46 PM

Yes, correct...not really a special tool but at 26 mm, it was not a size i had in my toolbox! (Don't read anything more into that! ).

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 21st February 2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
as far as i know when i changed my oil it was only the cap of the plastic oil filter housing and it was a 26mm socket job no special tools for a basic service
Cheers for that - had me worried for a moment

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten

Audi TT Mk1 225 - now with coil-overs and a 7inch touchscreen infotainment centre

2003 A8 Sport 4.2 (with ACC & LPG) (Feed up with all the issues so passed it on to a forum member)

2000 A8 FL QS 4.2 (with RNS-E - Nice) (Engine poorly so sold on to be brought back by someone who has the time)
Old 25th March 2012, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daviesbike View Post
It isn't - put a 27mm upto it and was short by around 5 mm - guess what, just doing mine and don't have anything that big

Current cars:

BMW i4 M-Sport

Peugeot 207 (the sons)

Gone but not forgotten