A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 16th June 2010, 08:00 PM

Default Highly Snotty and the Gearbox of Doom

Yes indeedy folks well the '8 decided to play me up on the way home from work last Friday and I lost drive intermittently in certain gears and it went into good ol' limp mode
It felt like the "clutch" was slipping and the revs rose a lot as the gearbox tried its hardest to get some drive. . .

Switched it off and back on a gain a couple of times and limped a bit further each time, it seemed to drive ok for a minute or two then went into limp mode again each time.

Got it back to a local garage where it was safe for the weekend at about 8pm and it had thrown up MAF codes so we changed that today which eliminated the P1141 code but its showing P0730 and P0734 and 4th gear isnt selecting on the box either in tiptronic or auto (1, 2 and 3 are working ok)

at 122k miles and never had the gearbox oil changed (I didnt dare as it hadnt been done by the time i got it at 112k) its looking like its gonna be the gearbox out and recon or exchanged, and thats looking like the '8 then wont be at the annual meet in time - perfect timing huh?

The gearbox has been silky smooth and never shown a sign of any problems until last Friday so you have all been warned!!!

Watch this space for updates. . .

Confidence is the feeling you have before you know better . . . .
Audi A8 D2 3.7 Quattro Sport 1999 FL - Melange
2nd Place Winner - A8-Freunde Annual German Meet 2012 at Edersee
20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Audi S8 D2 Final Edition 2002, Avus Silver with Red Leather Interior
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A8L D2 4.2 Petrol with LPG - Ebony Black
Audi A8L D4 FL 4.0T Petrol twin turbo - Havana Black
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
and some other A8's A8L's and Mercs
Old 16th June 2010, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
The gearbox has been silky smooth and never shown a sign of any problems until last Friday so you have all been warned!!!
Very good tip, mine was probably more smoother before the rebuild then after, that's not to say it was a bad rebuild, just it was soo damn smooth before it died.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 17th June 2010, 01:53 PM

I have to say that regularly changing the transmission oil in these is a complete must, doing otherwise is, from my point of view, folly..........

I hope yours is repairable without to much bother...............

Old 17th June 2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks Duffy. It's looking more and more like a shot box to me
but you can bet your bottom dollar if I have to change or refurb it
that it will get oil changes from the start plus genuine oil etc
heck if it stops the expense that I'm thinking it's likely to cost
then it can have a hay bed and sugar lumps if it wants!

Well I'm investigating box refurbs and exchanges at the moment -
anyone got a window I can jump out of ..... Uhhhh.

20" x 9" Bentley GTC Wheels with 385mm W12 Front Discs & Bentley Caliper Covers, Front Lowered on Coilovers, Xenons, Combined DRLs and LED Foglights to modified OEM front fog lamp position, Alcantara/Leather, Full Black Alcantara headlining + pillars and blind shelf, Bespoke Flat Bottomed Sports Steering Wheel, Dark Myrtle Wood, Autodim Mirrors, Bose, Blinds, Digital TV, Ski Hatch, Modified rear exhaust section for extra V8 Burble
Tiptronic with Sport mode button, Sony rear entertainment package, Bose sound system, Audi Navigation Plus, 20 inch Final Edition alloys, Full Cat Back Stainless Milltek exhaust, giving a great V8 burble
Audi A2 1.6 FSi Sport - Dolphin Grey with Votex body kit and Red Leather Interior
Old 17th June 2010, 06:51 PM

HI Neil,

Really sorry to hear about your gearbox - what a bummer!

Good thing you've still got the A4 so you're atleast still mobile.

When my 3.7 engine went, it was a real pain finding a replacement head for it - i hope you have better luck if an exchange it the route you're going down mate.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted soon!

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 17th June 2010, 09:41 PM

A few of the clubs we have or r with go here Neil
http://www.bristoltransmissions.co.uk/
Havnt seen anyone from the clubs that we r with, say bad word for them,
We have had work done by them and found them ok.
Old 18th June 2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
HI Neil,

Really sorry to hear about your gearbox - what a bummer!

Good thing you've still got the A4 so you're atleast still mobile.

When my 3.7 engine went, it was a real pain finding a replacement head for it - i hope you have better luck if an exchange it the route you're going down mate.

Fingers crossed you get it sorted soon!
Thanks Oli how many miles did your 3.7 have on it and was the gearbox ok when the head went?

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8 Owner View Post
A few of the clubs we have or r with go here Neil
http://www.bristoltransmissions.co.uk/
Havnt seen anyone from the clubs that we r with, say bad word for them,
We have had work done by them and found them ok.
Thanks Mel/Steve - I had another person mention them to me as well. Im looking seriously at a full blown reconditioned unit from ZF/VAG to drop in because at least if youre gonna spend big bucks then I want to know the rest of the box is all ok for many miles too, also I can make sure its oiled and serviced/oil changes correctly from install. . . watch this space!

Old 26th June 2010, 07:15 PM

OK well the update is that the service exchange gearbox has been ordered from VAG/ZF and is going to be fitted this coming week. It comes with a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty and a lot of back up from VAG which is why I've chosen to go this route. With a changed MAF sensor and regular oil changes from start I'm hoping my "investment" will mean no future gearbox woes for a very long time.

If all goes well then I should be able to run it up to the meet next weekend, albeit with none of the work I had planned to do done to it lol. . . wish me luck and keep your fingers and toes crossed guys 'n gals. . .

Old 26th June 2010, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Thanks Oli how many miles did your 3.7 have on it and was the gearbox ok when the head went?
170k miles and the gearbox felt great still. Hope it's not too costly mate!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 26th June 2010, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
170k miles and the gearbox felt great still. Hope it's not too costly mate!

Oli
That must be one of the highest mileages recorded on a 5 speed box in an '8?
was it ever rebuilt or given regular changes and if so how much do you know about the history and what was done?

It is too costly lol but thats another matter its gotta be sorted.