A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV

D2 - Sat Nav, ICE, Audio & TV All in car entertainment discussions

Old 24th March 2009, 12:31 PM

Default Aux in cable routing

Hey guys, got my aux in working fine on my tv tuner, so thanks for the links, I had a quick look at routing the cable from the boot to the front of the car, but cannot see any easy way, before I take the whole car apart can any one recommend the best route? I want to take it to the dash, and then just under the climate unit where my mp3 player will be (doesn't need to goto the center console)

Any tips?

W
Old 24th March 2009, 12:40 PM

Seeing how A8 parts routed it, I don't see how this can be done without takeing the front and rear seats out together and lifter the passenger side carpet area....

As for routing, they poked it past the passenger near-side rear seatbelt area (near the parcel shelf) and then routed it alongside the wiring loom which goes sort of past the passenger front seat if i remember.

1 thing i'd recommend is to test the audio as you can get interference in the cable (get a decent cable to help with this and route it properly) which can be heard as you rev the engine.

The effort is all well worth it though for the video connection you get. If you're just looking to plug in your MP3 player, it may be worth just getting a dension gateway 300 that plugs in the back of your headunit, allows for digital sound quality and doesn't require all the wiring?!

-Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 24th March 2009, 09:08 PM

Hey Oli

I'm not too good with the whole electronics area so how would i hook up the dension to my head unit? and where would you recommend running the cable to, the glove box?

Cheers

B
Old 24th March 2009, 09:49 PM

Hi bill,

I haven't installed a dension gateway 300 but i think mkoneman has with good results! It's the one i'd go for having reviewed what's on the market. It allows you to control your ipod from the audi headunit which is ideal IRRC

The downside of the dension 300 is that you have to disconnect the cd changer but in return you get a piece of kit that allows you to play digital music, charge your ipod/iphone/itouch, control it on the screen, etc. The dension 500 is one step up and allows you to keep your cd changer.

As for location, i was quite picky in that i wanted it within driver's reach so i can change the song. I have mine under the armrests as it's a useless cubbyhole for me anyway but i've seen others mount it on the phone cradle after having removed the phone, in the cigarette tray, on a vent-mount, or on a non-OEM phone cradle....it's completely up to you.

-oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 25th March 2009, 01:02 PM

Hi Oli,
Thanks for the reply, its not an IPOD so don't think Dension will work, and I'm not fussed about control, just having an aux line in is a luxury at this stage!

I have run cables in cars before for AMP's etc and usually you can find a route from the boot into the cabin, but the 8 seems to be fairly well sealed!

Know what you mean about noise, usually alternator whine, should be ok, but if not I was going to use a couple of balanced to unbalanced convertors and run the audio balanced (which I think the changer might be anyway)

I will try to route the cable by the parcel shelf near side seat belt then.

Cheers

Wayne

Last edited by Waynester2; 26th March 2009 at 02:01 PM.
Old 25th March 2009, 02:34 PM

Not sure about the FL LWB, but in the PF models, you can run cables through the bottom corner of the rear seatback panel (watch your hands, it's sharp in there), then along the bottom of the seat, and under the plastic covers at the top of the carpet (unless your cable is thick).
Old 31st March 2009, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcHe View Post
Not sure about the FL LWB, but in the PF models, you can run cables through the bottom corner of the rear seatback panel (watch your hands, it's sharp in there), then along the bottom of the seat, and under the plastic covers at the top of the carpet (unless your cable is thick).
Thanks for that, did exactly that ,not too big a job only had to unclip the cover over the wheel and back seat cloth (it bends you don't have to take the changer out) and its all in, clipped the cable under the plastic trim.

Dissapointed that a) when on tv aux in, you cannot have max volume and b) bass, treble fader etc doesn't work. I guess this is a limitation of the TV input...

W
Old 12th May 2009, 02:18 PM

Hi There,

Dunno about your car....but mine is proving....interesting. I am removing the old stereo completely and installing a new one which has a hide away unit in the boot.....I have managed to pull the old tv/satnav/cd box out and removed the carpet back there. The cables go up over the passengers shoulder. Which is fine.

Moving inside the car and i don't see how you can remove either the rear passenger back of seat or the trim panel nearest the door/window.

To add problems i also have an LPG tank across the back of the seats in the boot, so i can't climb in and inspect particularly well.

any help ???

Ta,
Lee
Old 12th May 2009, 04:32 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

To remove the rear seats (non ISOFIX) there are 2 Philips screws under the rear seat about where your calfs would be, buried in the carpet. make sure you don't switch on the ignition after you remove the seats as you'll throw a fault on the airbags as they are wired in and you will be disconnecting them.

Once the seat is out there are 2 screws at the bottom of the seat back. Undo those and you lift the back upwards and out but release the airbag cabling first.

With the seat out look behind the trim and you'll see some fasteners which you need to undo. then follow the trim to the section between the doors which needs to be removed first and then you can remove the door bottom trim. I'll try and find a picture a bit later.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 13th May 2009, 11:14 AM

Hi there,

The seat bench came out quite easy. There were two screws with carpet flaps over and then i needed to unclip the seat heating on the drivers side. Two big connectors but easy.

The seat back is proving more fun. There were two m13 bolts holding a piece of metal tubing across the front on the screw that needed removing each side. I undid these and the screw and the bottom is now free.

The top seems reluctant, hence i am back here checking. The air bag connectors seem an odd piece of work too.

Oh and so far i an up £1.01, a small toy boy with football, some heart stickers and a load of bread crumbs and rasins - When cleaning the car i'd be tempted to remove the bench if you've not done it....2 screws, 2 connectors opens up a world of stuff

cya,
Lee