A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 12th December 2013, 09:47 PM

Default 5HP24A Valve Block internals

After doing yet more research on the 5HP24A box in the 8, I stumbled across a very kind and helpful guy (who happens to design automatic transmissions for a living and likes to rebuild 5HP24's in his spare time!!) who fully dismantled, cleaned and inspected my valve block in the quest to try and pin-point the issue in my box.

In looking through the official ZF parts catalogue for my ECZ transmission, I noticed that the Audi part number for the filter that is meant to be fitted is 01L 325 429B. I then looked back at the invoice from Audi for the filter they supplied and it was 01L 325 429A! It seems there is an error on Audis system as when giving them my chassis number it thinks the earlier DTD gearbox is fitted when that clearly isn't the case.

I could only find a bit of info about this on the net but on closer inspection when comparing the 2 filters, the pick up tube on the A version is 10mm longer than the B version and consequently when the A is fitted to a later box the tube is too close to the oil pan and so starves the box of fluid which I guess it what was causing the issue (I don't know for definite as the valve block isn't back in the box yet with the correct filter).

It's nice to have got the solution to the problem but I fear the damage to the box has already been done. Hopefully Audi may do something about it?
Old 13th December 2013, 06:41 PM

Well, if its any help Audi Glasgow agreed to warranty my box until further notice after they screwed up the oil service.

Whoever did yours ought to do the same.
Old 13th December 2013, 07:42 PM

That's encouraging. As they supplied the wrong part they are liable. I have already logged a case with Audi UK. We'll see what happens. . .
Old 13th December 2013, 08:52 PM

If it was me I would be pushing for a new gearbox or you tell the Audi world of their incompetence, Oh you already did that. but seriously I would press them for it.

Old 21st December 2013, 08:40 AM

Well after a few more conversations with Audi, we have found that the chassis no. and gearbox code do in fact match up. It seems that my local Audi garage somehow got the chassis number information from the reg. no. of the car (even though I gave them my chassis number). The reg. no. is still registered to an A8 on their system just not the right one. . . It must be the previous car that the private plate was registered to.

As the car has been on the forum for a number of years, can anyone shed some light on this registration number query?
Old 21st December 2013, 09:42 AM

Hi - the plate I sold it with was also the one I bought it with from IT so he might be able to share what the reg was before that. I believe it was a W-reg but don't have a record of what it was I'm afraid.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 21st December 2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 21st December 2013, 10:04 AM

Hi Oli,

It's not so much what the previous plate of the silver 8 was. I just wonder what car was previously registered to L10 NWP.
Old 21st December 2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugzee View Post
Hi Oli,

It's not so much what the previous plate of the silver 8 was. I just wonder what car was previously registered to L10 NWP.
Ah, that I wouldn't know - sorry! But IT might - if he does I'm sure he'll be along shortly!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 21st December 2013, 02:16 PM

I hope so, that would be a great help.
Old 11th January 2014, 06:05 PM

I though I would post my final findings. . .

It seems that all the problems started with the private plate which is registered to the car. The previous car the plate was registered to was a PF A8 with an earlier DTD gearbox (which happened to be on Audi's system) and so the incorrect filter was ordered.

New filter fitted (correct version with the shorter pick up tube) with fresh Mobil ATF and it's running beautifully smooth, as it should be.