A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 25th October 2009, 10:10 PM

Default Hand brake cable and front suspension arms

Hi guys,

So, I've had my silver 4.2QS for a good 11 months almost and i have to say, i've had almost a good 10k miles of niggle free motoring which is great.

There are two things that I am thinking of getting done at some point and i thought it would be worth your advice...

1. Hand brake

So a few months back i found that when i put my handbrake down and I put the car in 'D', it felt like the handbrake was not releasing on 1 of the calipers (can not confirm but that's what it felt like). The car would not go forward on its own in 'd'..it would always need a little bit of accelation to get it moving.

After a few days of driving with it (i wasn't able to take it to a garage at the time due to needing it), it all of a sudden went away. However, my handbrake was all of a sudden able to go up many more 'clicks' than normal. The handbrake doesn't really sit tightly now eventhough it's completely pulled up and makes the drivers armrest sit up more to accomodate the handbrake lever.

Where should i be looking to find out for sure? If a new cable is needed, what's the difficulty rating here? cost of materials?

2. My front near side suspension is starting to have a few knocks on occasion. I think i remember Dave from A8parts saying that one of the suspension arms jobbies may need replaying before the next MOT (jan 2010).

If this is the case, is it worthwhile replacing all the bits or just look at individual parts? I intend to keep the car for a few more years and want to look after it.

If so, what are the costs of a full setup and would anyone know the costs involved for labour as this is a job i'd rather outsource.

Thanks for you help.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 25th October 2009 at 10:12 PM.
Old 26th October 2009, 07:52 AM

Oli,

1 - Sounds like a siezed caliper. Pretty easy to swap out, mine did the same a few months back.

2 - Control arms can be done DIY, but a bit fiddly. The preferred option seems to be either OEM or Meyle(sp?) kits. They do tend to go one at a time, but one after the other

I know.. I know..

Old 26th October 2009, 11:28 AM

Thanks PsYcHe,

I think i'll look to replace the control arms all at once in that case.

On the handbrake side, would a seized caliper be the culprit if it doesn't stick any more? And why would the handbrake now have so much slack? My gut feeling still says it's a handbrake cable issue but don't know the best way to check it? Take the wheels off, look under the car or look inside the transmisison tunnel?

Thanks again,

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 26th October 2009, 12:15 PM

Oli,

I have the same problem with the nearside rear caliper.
The pull mechanism on the caliper corrodes and will not return or engage so giving more handbrake travel. You will probably find only one caliper holding the car.
If you remove the rear wheels and ask someone to operate the handbrake you can see if the caliper is operating correctly
Old 26th October 2009, 02:35 PM

Default It's the handbrake lever...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluewhale View Post
Oli,

I have the same problem with the nearside rear caliper.
The pull mechanism on the caliper corrodes and will not return or engage so giving more handbrake travel. You will probably find only one caliper holding the car.
If you remove the rear wheels and ask someone to operate the handbrake you can see if the caliper is operating correctly
definitely the lever on the side of the caliper. It corrodes, siezes, then will not engage properly. Always feels like you need to pull the handbrake up a bit more, but then never holds. I have heard you can unseize it by soaking in diesel overnight, but I have never tried that.

Zip
Old 27th October 2009, 06:45 AM

That was the problem I had with my D2... One side wasn't holding and on a decent hill, it would slip until wedged into P.

Was the driver side on mine, but could be either. Have it checked at your local thick-wit and they'll tell you which one, then get A8Parts to send you one.

I know.. I know..