A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 16th December 2011, 02:44 PM

Default D3 ownership - do non-standard things fail often?

Hi,

We all know the common issues that the D2 has;
- Gearbox
- Seized calipers
- Blocked water channels

But in all honesty, i've been very happy with my D2 overall. I find that when things do go wrong, I'm able to tackle things with relative ease.

I am still utterly in love with my D2 but sometimes find myself looking at D3s and i wanted to get an honest view of what D3 ownership is like for those that have one or have had several.

I have read the stories of problematic air suspension, auto open/close boot issues, failing fuel filters, DPFs, injectors...it feels that the D2s fair better then the D3 in maintenance.

It would be great to hear how D3 owners have experienced ownership of their 8s. I would be particularly interested in whether the cost of maintaining non-standard items (so not the usual thing like tyres, brakes, exhaust, servicing) was high or not and whether they've had a number of issues or not. If you could also state what engine type you've got that would be great.

Ian also mentioned that A8Parts sees a higher propensity of 4.0 TDIs fail and i'd like to know why.

Thanks,

Oliver

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 16th December 2011, 05:17 PM

The 4.0TDis have some kidn of plastic thing in the manifold that breaks and gets sucked into the engine apparently, so not good. Given the price premium they still seem to carry, I'd go with a 4.2 petrol as it'll take a long time to recoup the savings on diesel.

With regards to general reliability elsewhere, I don't see them failing much, mine has been normal maintenance mostly and the 'major' issues I had were to do with the garage failing to identify the MMI issue properly, which actually turned out to be a water ingress problem. The aircon issue was again, the garage failing to fox it properly the first time which meant that subsequent failures were to follow quickly.

Apart from that, it's been normal wear and tear, a couple of suspension arms and a wheel bearing and brakes all round.

Good thing is, those big brakes you've got would drop straight on a D3

I know.. I know..

Old 16th December 2011, 08:15 PM

We have sold a few D3's at work and so far none have had any major issues except 1 that needed a new centre diff.

I would have a D3 no question, I have yet to come accross a bad one.

Infact I've yet to come accross a bad Audi.

Even with all the different cars I see every day I wouldnt buy anything but an Audi at the moment and that covers anything built 2000 on.
Old 17th December 2011, 03:23 PM

My D3 3.0 TDi has had a few niggly things - all sort of repaired under warranty.

The door lock button on the O/S/R door has failed twice and fixed. Now the N/S/R one doesn't work so I want it fixed. Probably a separate problem so I'll see if it can be done on my Audi extended warranty.

I still have problems with the headlamp wash system. It pops up and oozes a few bubbles but no real squirt. The system is full and not frozen. However when it was working it uses so much water so quickly I'm actually happy it's not working but from the 'I need everything in A1 condition' I need to get it fixed!

It's had tyres all round and the fronts are already, 8k miles, showing even wear to the outside edges - I suppose it sees a lot of cornering forces as it's a 2 ton car.

Brakes done all round - normal wear - no issues.

The electric handbrake failed - repaired under warranty. New motor fitted.

Generally I like the car and with the Bluefin Chip doofer it's extremely quick and tractable.
Old 17th December 2011, 05:21 PM

In 300k of miles I've put on D3's, I've had minimal issues, the air compressor went and Fuel Filter, but thats it. Most reliable car I've ever owned by FAR!

Would 100% buy another one

07 Silver D3 A/S8L Quattro S8 front end, Xenons, Bose, Bluetooth, Voice Control, Autodim mirrors, Heated folding mirrors, Double Glazed Windows, Electric Rear & Side Blinds, Black leather Comfort Seats with front memory seats & mirrors, Front & rear heated seats, Interior/Exterior light pack, TV.I.M, AMI, Parking sensors Front & Rear, Air suspension (soon to be lowered), Keyless entry & Start/Stop, 4 zone climate control, Power Boot Open/Close.
Old 17th December 2011, 05:46 PM

As i have only owned my W12 for a few months now then i am in no position to comment on long term ownership but so far( touch wood) i have had no problems and can say it is by far the best car i have ever owned
Old 25th December 2011, 09:41 AM

My 2006 3.0 has done 180,000 miles with previous owner on long life 5 year service plan and engine is as silky smooth and quiet as any other *touch wood*. The service history shows no problems with engine.
I did have a DPF problem and had this hollowed out for a reasonable cost.

It has had repeated warranty problems with battery/regulator (replaced battery x2 and then regulator under warranty) and EPB problems with warning messages (new calliper motor, then wiring repair kit then control unit).
It has also has a lot of warranty replacements of door seals and rear passenger too plastic 'step' covers popping off, and these continue to be a problem. All 4 door seals have defects, and both rear plastic steps are loose.
Old 17th October 2012, 09:00 PM

Snapdragon, what you mean that door seals had to be replaced? How did you decided that it has to be replaced, what was wrong with it?

Lads, did you heard anything about 3L. TDI engines having problem with cam chain tensioners? Read somewhere that they just goes, which means valves get bent and so on? Did anyone came across that problem?
Old 17th October 2012, 09:55 PM

I don't know, but previous owner had problems with rear door seals and plastic trim/step at the bottom where you would step in and catch your shoe. These plastics are loose now and the door seals look like someone has glued them back together where they have split, this is despite them being replaced twice before under warranty. The driver's door seal has also seen better days. The previous and first owner was a West London Chauffer-driven Limousine outfit.
Maybe it was ice or very fat clientele?

The early chain tensioners made a bad noise on startup, but these were updated sometime in 2005, so a 2006- should not have a problem. I
Old 18th October 2012, 08:52 PM

So 2006 on, facelift models had that problem sorted it means, because read in few different topics about it. Wasn't sure will i go and order new tensioners and get them changed.