A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 4th June 2009, 07:27 PM
hkallas

Default A8 D2 bonnet

Hello,

The bonnet on my A8 PF D2 from 1997 is damaged, so I have bought a bonnet from a facelifted 1999 model. Does anyone know if it can fit on my car or have I made a mistake buying this?!

Hope anyone can help!
Old 4th June 2009, 08:34 PM

Hi hkallas,

Welcome to A8 parts mate.

Unfortunately, they are 2 different shapes as the headlights are different on the pre-facelift vs the facelift as you can see in the picture above.

You could try A8 parts as they will most likely have the part you need.

Do you have any pictures of your a8? Also, we have our annual meet this sunday with over 40 owners if you fancy joining.

-oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 4th June 2009, 09:04 PM
hkallas

Default hmm

Thanks for your reply, but will it fit if I buy the facelifted headlights?
Old 4th June 2009, 09:11 PM

You'll also need the facelift wings as well as the bumper i believe. 1 guy (dave from a8 parts) has done it before but he works at an A8 breaker. For anyone else, this would not make sense financially to do i wouldn't have thought.

-Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 4th June 2009, 09:22 PM
hkallas

Default yes

I can see what you mean, but I have (by mistake) bought the hood. Soo I thought it would be fine if it could fit. I have studied the two pictures, for me it seems like the dimensions on the two hoods are the same, but the only difference is the grill, that is a bit smaller on the facelifted model!!

Could I be right or am I completely wrong??

Last edited by hkallas; 4th June 2009 at 09:36 PM.
Old 5th June 2009, 07:39 AM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkallas View Post
I can see what you mean, but I have (by mistake) bought the hood. Soo I thought it would be fine if it could fit. I have studied the two pictures, for me it seems like the dimensions on the two hoods are the same, but the only difference is the grill, that is a bit smaller on the facelifted model!!

Could I be right or am I completely wrong??
I'm afraid your new hood will not fit as the wings are slightly different and the headlights also.

To get your hood to fit you will have to change the wings, headlights and front bumper. Talk to A8parts and they will be all to happy to help. The bonnet is by far the most expesive part and the job is not that difficult to do.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 5th June 2009, 10:30 AM
hkallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conan_the_Librarian View Post
I'm afraid your new hood will not fit as the wings are slightly different and the headlights also.

To get your hood to fit you will have to change the wings, headlights and front bumper. Talk to A8parts and they will be all to happy to help. The bonnet is by far the most expesive part and the job is not that difficult to do.
Thanks,

I have written to A8parts and Dave, but still no reply!
Old 5th June 2009, 10:58 AM
hkallas

Default shape

And for me the shape of the wings seems to be different only near the lights at the sides. The rest seems identical. Look at the picture of the two cars here.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a8-pf-fl-11.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	275  

Last edited by Conan_the_Librarian; 6th June 2009 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Embed Photos
Old 5th June 2009, 11:25 PM

It's a big job fella, and I wonder if it might be worth you trading in your bonnet for one from A8Parts?

Keeps the cost down, and is by far and away a lot less hassle

Also don't forget, that if you're a member of the A8 Owners Club you get free shipping

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here
Old 6th June 2009, 09:56 AM
hkallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by A8_Tony View Post
It's a big job fella, and I wonder if it might be worth you trading in your bonnet for one from A8Parts?

Keeps the cost down, and is by far and away a lot less hassle

Also don't forget, that if you're a member of the A8 Owners Club you get free shipping

Thaks for your reply,

But my question is if anyone knows for sure that the bonnet of a facelifted A8 doesn't fit on af pre-facelifted model, as I by mistake already have bought one Thanks