A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 13th November 2010, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Wallwork View Post
Conan

The brakes only get hot if I've used the handbrake.

They don't bind at all otherwise, so it's a problem with the h/b mechanism.

But how to fix it???
After a wet day yesterday playing with the calipers it is the handbrake leaver not returning that makes it stick on. Both were seized to the point i had to knock at them with a small hammer to start them off with a drowning of a homemade penetration liquid. Once they started moving by hand and plenty of oil i got a large screw driver between the caliper and the leaver and prised it away from the caliper. The round bar that goes inside the caliper was badly corroded I scraped this with a small screw driver and filed to finish it off, plenty more oil and one side is now ready to go back on the car with a new seal kit if Audi ring me this morning to tell me they got it in (as promised) I’ll take some photos of the other side to upload.
Old 14th November 2010, 12:33 AM

Dezzy
We got the same prob.
I knocked the lever back with a hammer to release the h/b. Did it 20 times with a mate hauling the h/b on in between hammerings!

It'd be great to hear how you fix your calipers. It seems to be a weakness on the D2.

I've just had her MoT'd so ok for a year!

S
Old 14th November 2010, 01:09 PM

Default Temp repair for handbrake

Need to remove the caliper from the car really as a bench and vice come in handy and working under a wheel arch outside in the rain isn't the best.

Caliper on the bench with the return spring removed, a little care needs to be taken as the spring it under a bit of tension.

Looking at the dirt bild up between the handbrake lever and the caliper body.

I used loads of 3in1 with a bit of white sprits to thin it down and worked the leaver back and forward untill my hands were sore. Then a large screwdriver between the lever and body and with a wiggle, twist and a bit of levering it will come away from the body.

Leaving this. I, like John, couldn't get the lever all the way out. (on either caliper)

Looking down and the dirt / rust build up is thick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0049.jpg
Views:	1329
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1510   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0055.jpg
Views:	1480
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	1511   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0061.jpg
Views:	1307
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	1513   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0067.jpg
Views:	1356
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	1514   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0066.jpg
Views:	1552
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	1515  

Last edited by Dezzy; 14th November 2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 14th November 2010, 03:44 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Top work mat. Thanks for the photos. Added to sticky.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 15th November 2010, 06:00 AM

Scraped at the muck with a small screwdriver (is all i had) got it back to a reasonable state.

Then filed it smooth (ish)

But was left with some pitting. I used loads of brake cleaner and blue paper roll between these photos.

Put back together with plenty of 3in1 oil working it all the time. You can actually see the rubber seal now.

New inside seal fitted as Audi came good with the kit. Just the dust seal to fit.

The handbrake leaver was moving back on it's own without the spring fitted and before it was cleaned i had to tap it with a hammer to move it.
The seal between the leaver and the body on one caliper is shot and put it down to the amount of build up on the bar. This seal is not in the repair kit and would think that it's only time before i get more trouble.
Maybe if it were kept clean and well lubricated in there the seal would be ok and it would last for years.

Oh i did both side but would suggest keeping one caliper complete for referance as it is not obvious how the spring goes back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0072.jpg
Views:	1243
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1521   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0070.jpg
Views:	1267
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	1522   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0079.jpg
Views:	1237
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1523   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0052.jpg
Views:	1241
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	1524   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0056.jpg
Views:	1265
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	1525  
Old 15th November 2010, 06:59 PM

Dezzy
Great pics! I think you've explained that job really nicely.

Shame that little seal is not in the repair kit because without it the trouble looks likely to return. Is that seal completely unavailable then?

I suppose if you assembled it with loads of anti-sieze compound it might last for a year or two.

I think in this case, a new caliper makes sense if not too expensive. Wonder what they cost from, say, Euro car spares?
Old 15th November 2010, 07:57 PM

Default best price £77+ vat

http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/
or seal kit with small seal £14
Old 16th November 2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by r8dream View Post
http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/
or seal kit with small seal £14
Nice online shop they've got actually. Dezzy, thanks for sharing 'how-to' mate...really thorough!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 16th November 2010, 06:07 PM

Thanks for the link, they've got some stuff for my old classic still listed, so most useful.

Other vehicles
1968 Rover P5B Coupe (Modified & V-Quick, but I have to sell this now ... Boo Hoo!)
'92 Mitsubishi Pajero V6 (Petrol) Super Exceed (Gone now)
'06 Harley Davidson Night Train
Oh Yes....... The '98 PF S8!
Old 1st March 2011, 07:18 PM

I feel so guilty for just swearing a lot and throwing on a new caliper for peace of mind. I have an odd rule of thumb that if the new part is under the cost of a tank of petrol then just swap it out. Too many hours spent being skint working on old cars in the rain with no skin on my knuckles in my youth.

Fantastic piccies and write up though. I only put this up as a joke, the pennies the new caliper cost brought out my indolence gene.

"Being in touch with your feminine side" - The ability to, in the 30 seconds following a major accident, obtain your wifes approval for replacing your big german car with another "because otherwise we'd be dead".

See also sulking for two years until she finally allows you to get another purely on the basis of your current one being the wrong colour.