A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 21st March 2010, 09:45 PM

Ben, I will be in contact with you tomorrow morning to arrange for you to come out and diagnose.
I'm not 100% sure I have lost Drive now, as it drove (Struggled) up her driveway and then when I started it again I didn't really try that hard. When I heard a big bang and I got PRND432 on the dash I chickened out and we went out in her 1.4 Corsa instead.

I will definitely be booking the A8 I have just brought in for a full gearbox service with you asap and health check. If it does have Drive. What could it be then?

Mrs sent me a pic of the car earlier, she knows I'm missing it.

2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds

Last edited by Singh; 22nd March 2010 at 12:30 AM.
Old 22nd March 2010, 05:53 AM

Hi Amar,

What a pain to see this happen.

I remember when I looked at your car before you bought it that it had already done 120k ish - could this mean you end up fixing the clutch only for another part in the box to go later given the mileage?! Who knows but worth a thought...when i was over at ben's and asked about 'what if my box breaks?', he mentioned just getting a brand new box from audi (for ben to fit) as you get better warranty and it means you don't have any issues going fwd with the rest of the box.

Maybe worth checking?!...i remember thinking for the marginal difference between a refurb and a replacement that replacing it altogether would give you piece of mind and hassle free motoring for (you'd think) 100k miles.

Maybe a thought...

Hope it gets sorted!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 22nd March 2010 at 05:56 AM.
Old 22nd March 2010, 08:35 AM

Hi Oli, I got the car around this time last year with 123k and it just turned 138k IIRC as the box went on it. The bloke I brought it off did say the guy who had it before him had the gearbox oil changed, but I didn't get a warm fuzzy feeling and decided not to do it myself after JMWs packed up soon after getting his fluid done, then again, I don't think he used Audi fluid and PaulW from Audipages stresses the importance of this.
The money is mailnly in the labour and not the parts so if the box comes out I will most probably have a full rebuild. Audi don't supply brand new gearboxes either, they are reconditioned too.
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
Old 22nd March 2010, 08:44 AM

Waiting with baited breath here to hear your news Amar - lets hope it's good...
Old 22nd March 2010, 09:54 AM

Just waiting on Ben's call Clive, I'm hoping its something like water ingress in the gearbox ECU or low oil in the gearbox. Just got a quote from a gearbox place in Birmingham, they want £1500 for a full rebuild as a worst case scenario but want to see it first as they say it might not even be as bad as that. They only give a one year unlimited mileage warranty but if I do get it done by them I will just keep the ATF changed every 20k or so.. The AA guy when towing my old A8 when its driveshaft popped out recommended them.

http://drivertransmissions.co.uk/

Last edited by Singh; 22nd March 2010 at 09:57 AM.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh View Post
they want £1500 for a full rebuild as a worst case scenario
does that include fitting? i.e. roll in, drive out fixed, £1500 lighter? or will there be other costs.

If no other costs £1500 doesnt sound too bad, i had always thought a popped box would set you back £2500 to get it rebuilt and fitted!
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:20 AM

Mr. K here is a breakdown of costs with JT automatics, also comes with a two year/24000 mile warranty. I would think it a good idea to get that quote in writing as well as a note saying they will definitely fix the fault before authorising them to do the work.

Gearbox £895.00
Torque Converter £190.00
Labour £210.00
Fluids £50.00 I would personally get Audi fluid so this might be a little more
------------
Subtotal £1,345.00
VAT at 17.5% £235.38
------------
Total Price £1,580.38
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:50 AM

Thanks Singh, its obviously still a hell of a lot of money and not something you want to happen, but it is atleast not as expensive as i thought.

I hope this gets sorted without needing all that lot, Im gutted for you mate.
Old 22nd March 2010, 10:56 AM

Thanks Mr. K. The £500 AA warranty will help lessen the sting I suppose and if I haggle a little off that £1500 I might be able to get a full box rebuild at a fairly good price. On the plus side, I knew it was going to go one day. Ian once said 'it's a ticking time bomb' once its done I will know it should go on and last and it won't be on the back of my mind if I take it to Germany this year.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:43 AM

thats the best way to look at it. with the new gearbox and a set of suspension arms, you should have 80-100k with no major shocks.