A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Body and Exterior

D3 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 2nd June 2014, 08:24 AM

Default Sorting out the paintwork

Well

Away goes my car for another 4 days - this time to the body shop to sort out most of the annoying marks that were there when I bought the car, poor examples of re-sprayed panels and overspray on trims. Combined with a full machines polish and a two-stage wax system she should look like new.

Here's hoping.

Then see what she looks like after a drive up to Scotland on narrow A-roads
Green Alcantara Headlining, Pillars, Rear Shelf, Door Inserts
Green Trimmed Mats, Seatbelts, Steering Wheel, Centre Armrests
DAB, Freeview, ACC, 4-Zone Climate, Soft Close, Electric Blinds

Old 2nd June 2014, 08:39 AM

Good luck

This the month of car sprays?

I need to drop mine off at some point.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 3rd June 2014, 07:19 AM

It is a good excuse for me as I have been promising myself for 2.5 years since I bought the car that it would get these bits of TLC. Something always seems to come up, but this time, new kitchen or not, it's getting done.

The place I have used is looking forward to making it gleam - they were surprised how straight most of the panels were before they started. Just shows you what they must usually get - or maybe the standards are different for what is unacceptable on an 8

Old 4th June 2014, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
Good luck

This the month of car sprays?

I need to drop mine off at some point.
Ha, mine is going in for the front bumper too!
Old 4th June 2014, 08:48 PM

Well, I have my car back and it's shiny.

Now I know where all the deep scratches, stone chips, rub marks and more iffy paint are.

Why is it that when you clean a little bit of the car, the rest looks like a shed. You clean that bit and the rest looks even worse. Have now given up on my shed of the week safely in the knowledge that it still needs a front wing re-sprayed and more work at the bodyshop when time allows.

I have to remember that it is a 2006 car, not a brand new one - I must keep telling myself that - otherwise i'll never be happy.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1086.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	8351   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1087.JPG
Views:	280
Size:	1.03 MB
ID:	8352   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	313.7 KB
ID:	8353  

Old 5th June 2014, 06:41 AM

That looks good.

I know what you mean about finding more defects when you get one corrected.
It annoys me as well.

Age is irrelevant really.
If you're willing to put the money and time in, then do it.
Soft close Doors & Boot, Electric Blinds, Keyless Entry & Start, Bluetooth HandFree, Quad Zone Climate, APS+, 3 Spoke Sports Tiptronic Multi Function Steering Wheel, Heated Seats All Round, Black Leather Comfort Seats, AMI, Sunroof, Drivers & Passenger Electric Memory Seats, Auto Dimming Mirrors, Bi-Xenons AFS2, Dab, Digital TV, Reversing Camera, AV Inputs, Fridge, Solar Roof, TPMS, facelift rear lights, 3G, remote boot closure, Tow Bar.
Old 5th June 2014, 03:19 PM

Looking shiny

Same thing here, more and more to re-spray, but I knew that before dropping car off to the bodyshop.
I know that at the end of this year I will do roor and possibly one door to have one side completely done, more and more £££

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 10th June 2014, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-A8 View Post
Looking shiny

Same thing here, more and more to re-spray, but I knew that before dropping car off to the bodyshop.
I know that at the end of this year I will do roor and possibly one door to have one side completely done, more and more £££
Hey Marcin - would you recommend your body shop? Picked mine up from KDS after their assessment which saw costs rise beyond my budget

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 11th June 2014, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
Hey Marcin - would you recommend your body shop? Picked mine up from KDS after their assessment which saw costs rise beyond my budget

Oli
Hello mate, long time no see

Yes, I would, but you would have to come and see me first so you can see the finish and quality for your self, this is the best way.
As mentioned before, guy does Merc (warranty/accident) resprays and it is good, they wont rush things, I've had a 3days delay, but purely because they wanted to take extra time to finish it to my licking.
They do what they wont and I've been told by 4 out of 4 garages that my color is a c++t, and 2 of them were not interested in the job, even my guy wasn't that keen on it but he was ok with it. They flicked the front end onto the drivers and passengers side, you just can't see anything.
Tiny things which could be done possibly better, but if you are really really an@l like me you will always find something.

I would recommend him, but firstly come and see my car and then we will go to see him for estimate, cash deal always available

I went to KDS as well, and the cost was f****** ridiculous, I even haven't finish talking to the guy, just stoped him by the end as the numbers were like for a respray of brand new rolls royce. Kelly did a great work on that famous A8, but I couldn't even talk to him for a minute just to tell him how good he did and ask one or two questions.
They were not the friendlies guys.

PS, I've got another ana@l body shop in Basildon, really really good guy, but more pricey as it's him and one worker where there where I did my car eventually is a slightly bigger place with more work force

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten