A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Body and Exterior

D2 - Body and Exterior Bumpers, bonnets, glass, trims - Everything outside

Old 11th July 2010, 08:00 PM

It seems that the problem is potentiometer in the mirror assembly. Potentiometer is variable-resistor kind of device that enables mirror to actually "remember" the exact position -- just like the potentiometer for the sun roof. Potentiometer contacts may be dirty/worn/broken.

Unfortunantely, Audi don't supply mirror adjusting unit separately for cars with mirror memory function. The cost of whole unit for my car (4D2 858 531 BD 3FZ) is 315 UK pounds. I understand this doens't win the award for the most ridiculously expensive audi part, but still I'm not prepared to shell out this much.

I found a writeup about cost effective cleaning of potentiometers for Jeep vehicle, but couldn't find any writeup/info for Audis, though I've seen many posts about mirror return problem after the tilt function.

http://www.wjjeeps.com/mirrors2.htm#REPAIR

If anyone have experience of deep diving into the mirror insides please post here. Thanks.

Last edited by notorious; 5th August 2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 5th August 2010, 05:12 PM

RESOLVED. Writeup is below:

If your mirror doesn't return after tilting for reversing, the "potentiometer" in mirror housing is not clean or has a bad contact. "Potentiometer" is a combination of "female" copper element (number 1, see pictures below) based inside mirror housing and plastic "male" (number 2, see pictures below) which is part of mirror glass. As you might have guessed, male travels between female contacts back and forth (I'm sorry, I always think about sex), so the mirror electronics "knows" exact position of the mirror depending on position of male part inside female part. If you are interested in physics of the process, you can read this and this US patents.

If the system works well, you can move mirror glass with your hand or with joystick and then press and hold "recall from memory" button until mirror returns to remembered position. If contact is loose you can get all sorts of problems when it comes to remembering and recalling exact position of the mirror glass.

Solution:

1. Remove mirror glass. This is very easy. All you need is plastic stick. Don't worry -- you can't damage anything if your tool is made of plastic. Just pry it off -- the system is designed for easy removal of the mirror glass. Don't disconnect electric contacts unless you want to repair something else. All you need is to remove mirror glass so that it hangs on electric wires.
2. Clean plastic "male" if it's dirty.
3. Clean copper "female" if you see corrosion on it. Rub with sandpaper or with a thin file "inner lips" of the copper element where it contacts with "male".
4. Most important part. Take narrow pliers and squeeze copper element at the top and at the bottom. This will help copper "lips" to grasp the male part firmly from both sides. Don't press pliers too hard, as this will create excessive pressure on the male element. As a side effect of excessive pressure motors may have difficulty moving the mirror or you'll notice judder when adjusting the mirror.
5. Put glass back in place. It will just pop into place.
6. Sit into car. Adjust mirrors with joystick. Press Memory+1 to save current mirror position into memory. Move mirror with joystick or with your hand. Press button 1 until mirror returns back to saved position.
4. Start engine. Engage reverse. Mirror tilts. Engage parking position. Mirror returns. Problem resolved.

When you actually start doing this, you'll notice how easy and self-explanatory the procedure actually is. It will take from 30 minutes to 1 hour of your time.

P.S. I combined this procedure with installing "aspherical" mirror for passenger side, which is absolutely cool for observing blind spot. For my UK-based car with anti-dazzle feature the part number is "8D0 857 535 H".

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1827
Size:	116.2 KB
ID:	1277   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1658
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	1278   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1614
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	1279   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	1569
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	1280   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1658
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	1281  

Last edited by notorious; 6th August 2010 at 09:52 AM.
Old 5th August 2010, 07:23 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

Top work fella. Good write up; added to the sticky. Thank you.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 7th August 2010, 06:49 AM

Nice one Notorious and thanks for sharing!

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 9th July 2012, 09:56 PM

Whilst not wishing to "rain on anyones parade" I do believe that the assumptions behind that repair process are incorrect.
If it did fix the problem it's probably purely coincidental and more likely to be down to the "reset" process described at the end, or just possibly by clearing a physical obstruction.

I am 100% convinced that the ONLY function of those metal contacts (and the plastic arc on the glass) is to stabilise the mirror, possibly reducing vibration.
As such they need to be clean and smooth and grip the plastic arc but not too tightly.

This is because in the last few days, as part of trying to fix a "folding" issue I have swapped and reswapped and tested thoroughly 2 different passenger mirror units on my S8.
Both have memory, support heated glass and do the "reverse dip"; the only issue is innacurate folding/unfolding (on both ).

So why do I think this?
Well the memory works fine, as does the reverse dip. With a little gentle "manual assistance" so does fold/unfold. On BOTH units.
Yet one doesn't even have the metal clips installed!

Furthermore the metal clips aren't connected to anything and are in fact ONE SINGLE PIECE OF BENT METAL held in place by a metal screw into the metal frame, so effectively earthed.
What's more swapping it between units made no difference to anything, both worked equally well with or without the clips.

So, that's my conclusion, hopefully it will help people consider the symptoms of their problems and not get confused when a published procedure doesn't actually fix the problem

-----------------------
Edit: I note that the mirror glass in the pictures above also has auto-dim which mine does not, although the wiring for it is present in the units (but not elsewhere in the car) - the plug is actually tucked away beside the fold motor in mine.
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
Finally: gone, but not forgotten.....
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 9th July 2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10th July 2012, 07:43 AM

I'm with HP on this. I had a similar issue on my '96 4,2 QS. I bought a replacement unit, which worked fine. It had that clip, but it was a plastic one! So it wasn't the metal clip that was the issue.

2006 Audi A8 D3 Quattro Sport 4.2 TDI - Silver, Family Oil Burner.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.5 TDI - Santorin Blue, S8-Powered DTM Race Car Build In Progress.
2000 Audi A4 Quattro Sport 2.8 30V - Pelican Blue, RS4 Widebody, D3 4.2 01E, High-Spec B5 Build In Progress.
Old 11th July 2012, 12:44 PM

Apologies for incorrect writeup. Described operation has helped me but I now admit my assumptions may not be correct as I didn't dig into the issue deep enough.

I had some experience fixing mirror memory issues on General Motors cars, which use potentiometers to "remember" mirror positions. Link: http://www.wjjeeps.com/mirrors2.htm Potentiometer contact become loose or get dirty so mirror "forgets" it's position. This is what mislead me.

As I will be swapping mirror caps soon and I will return to investigation of how mirror memory works on A8 D2s. It may use magnetic sensors to actually remember mirror position.

Edit: If mirror memory works properly I have discovered that it is possible to change position of mirror element by hand (even if car is fully off and locked). After car is opened the mirror will return to original position (with ignition or by manually pressing the "1" button -- I don't remember). This means there is a sensor (or two sensors?) in mirror housing that independently measure position of mirror element in space and gives feedback to mirror ECU.

Last edited by notorious; 11th July 2012 at 12:58 PM.
Old 11th July 2012, 01:08 PM

There are definitely sensors there but I think they must be somewhere behind (or incorporated in) the adjustment motors. Exactly what they are I for one don't know.

No need to apologise, I found your writeup very helpful on how to get access.

Comparing them with, for example, the small headlight height adjustment motors on my ford Focus (similar vintage), those have the adjustment control totally built in and a very simple external connection into the sealed unit from the controller, which in this case is a wheel on the dashboard (variable resistance?).
2003 D2 FL S8. Irish Green Pearl/Beige. Solar sunroof, auto-dim mirrors, electric rear seat functions, ski hatch retrofit; extended leather. Aftermarket DVB-T, reversing camera and full XCarlink (Bluetooth etc.).
2016 Volvo V40 T5 Cross Country (4WD) with ALL the toys including adaptive cruise etc. etc. Osmium Grey with Blonde/Charcoal leather interior. Polestar performance "optimisation". (A much rarer model than a D2 S8 by the way!) Oh, and a brand new engine at just under 30,000 miles on the factory one!
1998 D2 PF S8. AgateGrey/Platinum. Every option (I think) except electric rear seats, tiptronic steering wheel, ski hatch, towbar & dimming door mirrors.
e.g. Cruise control, NavPlus/TV, Bose, GSM, Xenons, Solar roof, Parking sensors, Alcantara/leather everywhere of course. (internal dimming mirror added later)
1998 (very early) Ford Focus 1.8 Zetec; ABS/TCS, Heated screen/mirrors, Aircon, Auto-dim mirror, Leather, Trip computer, Cruise control, OEM Ford SatNav with CD changer.
And before that a lot of Rover 800s, a few oddities, a lovely Triumph Dolomite 1850HL with Overdrive and way back in my schooldays an Austin Seven aka Mini 850!

Last edited by HPsauce; 11th July 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11th July 2012, 01:19 PM

HP, if you have a bit of time please read second patent (there are two links in my original write up). That second patent describes how mirror position can be "remembered" by just one magnetic corrosion-free sensor.
Old 11th July 2012, 02:23 PM

Had a quick look at both patents, very interesting.

However they were filed some years after my mirror was actually made.....