A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > General Motoring > VCDS (aka Vagcom)

VCDS (aka Vagcom) For all your electronic debug / diag advice queries and mods.

Old 9th December 2009, 09:00 PM
badger7777

Default Vag-com: Getting started

Can anyone offer any advice on what kit to buy for a first delve into the world of vag-com?
I've read various things on numerous forums and i've got information overload....

I know i can buy the top-drawer kit from ross-tech, but what if i want to try vag-com out on a budget?

The choice of cables is confusing; what do I need - what will a £20 cable of ebay get me?
Will i just be £20 worse off and still no nearer to getting started?
Am I better off waiting for my next bonus and buying the ross-tech kit?
Is there a "basic" ross-tech kit which can be added to at a later date?

HELP....
Old 9th December 2009, 10:18 PM

Hi Mate,

I'd just buy an ebay dongle - it comes with the vag-com software on cd and gives you access to their freeware.

Freeware gives you basic access to a lot of things but not all. YOu can scan things like the engine, brakes (ABS), parking sensors and many other electricals.

If you feel happy about it, you can purchase the license for 99USD which gives you access to all modules. It not the same as the vag-com cable as using an original cable means you don't need the license and it works on any laptop. Using the license, you can only use it on 1 laptop.

Hope that helps.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 10th December 2009, 06:34 AM

I've 'burned' two ebay leads with VAG-Com and ended up buying the proper one. If you want to give it a go, then 20 quid isn't much to lose, but I'd save for the official kit.

I'm sure someone nearby would be happy to help you out if you need something specific done in the mean time.

I know.. I know..

Old 10th December 2009, 02:42 PM
badger7777

So have i got this right....
A £20 ebay lead has limited functionality but would get me going with the freeware off ross-tech website.
This ebay lead could then be used with a $99 license from Ross-Tech but the lead might be unreliable and i'd end up going to ross-tech for a genuine lead?

Does the $99 license give access to better software or does it just unlock more functions of the freeware?

Sorry for all the questions, thanks for the replies so far
Old 10th December 2009, 08:09 PM

the $99 licence gives full functionality of the software (as long as your lead supports it).

Not all leads will work correctly, especially the pirate ones.

I know.. I know..

Old 10th December 2009, 08:26 PM

Theres a company that sell all kinds of diagnostic do-dads called Gendan that do all the leads for vag com (£20 cheapies with links to ross tech freeware, through to the full on real deal ross tech approved/supplied stuff) They advertise in magazines and i used them a couple of years back for a fault code reader and it might be better than an ebay wonder? it was a while ago but the service then was first rate, took a couple of days by signed for royal mail.
Old 10th December 2009, 09:12 PM
badger7777

A chap in the trade has pointed me to gendan.co.uk too, I'll have a good look through their website tomorrow, cheers.
Old 11th December 2009, 09:12 AM

I Have the Ross tech kit well worth the dosh faultless so far

www.facebook.com/obdworks
full genuine ross-tech vcds
full genuine vag- tacho
full genuine mpps flash mapping
Old 12th December 2009, 09:31 PM
badger7777

I've ordered a £20 lead from gendan.co.uk, think i'll see how i get along with it. If I find i'm getting good use out of it and master the basic functions i'll upgrade to a proper ross-tech kit in the future.
Old 13th December 2009, 10:24 AM

as i have just discovered, the freeware software only works on non vista laptops so it'll have to be an older XP one :C

the new shiny paid for software is vista compatable though. Damn.