A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > For Sale and Wanted > For Sale and Wanted - General

For Sale and Wanted - General Posting for buying / selling your own personal non vehicle related items

Old 7th August 2010, 05:51 AM

Just offering my input Mike.

I have recently contacted Spax (work and play ) and am awaiting a reply from them regarding an offering for the club. This may offer some substantial discount, as I'm hoping to deal direct with them.

Spax have been around for a long time, I'm fairly sure that all manufacturers of any product have had fault over the years, and Spax would not be immune to that. But, they've provided solutions to custom car users for a long time, and I would not hesitate in using their kit at the right price/performance point.

A8OC Founder

The A8 Owners Club here
Old 7th August 2010, 07:09 AM

Mmm, coilovers (with bags)!

Source

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 7th August 2010, 07:26 AM

dont like his wheels much ^^^^

seriously i dont like the 9.5 on the front looks a bit wrong imo

also the reverse rake looks awful either raise the rear a inch or drop the front a inch

www.facebook.com/obdworks
full genuine ross-tech vcds
full genuine vag- tacho
full genuine mpps flash mapping
Old 7th August 2010, 12:03 PM
a8xyr

My two pence worth,

Spax are UK based company which sits well with me. There is plenty of info and description on the spax RSX coilovers on there website http://www.spax.co.uk/modern_products-rsx.phpI haven't found the same detailed info for FK or KW and I guess they are just mass manufactured in China and then companies put there own branding on them, please correct me if you know otherwise!

A8 Tony, Spax direct don't seem to be the cheapest, as the manufacturer they can't compete with there distributors and resellers on price, otherwise they would not have any distributors and resellers left. But if you can get cheaper than £630 then its all good
Old 7th August 2010, 02:26 PM

is english made a good thing?

kw are german made and used on most vw cup racing cars and are one best suspension manufacturers out there if i take my coilovers off they are still as clean as the day i put them on and the ride is still perfectly smooth, the v1 coilovers are just height adjustment so the pre set dampers are set right for street use, if you know what you are doing and want bound, rebound adjustment there are the clubsport kit, if you want to be really want to splash out they do the HLS hydraulic system that gives you a 45mm lift at the press of a button

http://www.kw-suspension.co.uk/

fk (also german) are based around and use koni dampers

http://fksuspension.net/

ap are a side company of kw and use the same bodies and dampers but are not made of stainless steel so might be a cheaper option

http://www.apcoilovers.com/

personally spax are the last kit id go for but that just me

www.facebook.com/obdworks
full genuine ross-tech vcds
full genuine vag- tacho
full genuine mpps flash mapping
Old 7th August 2010, 03:27 PM
daz.g

^ what he said ^
I'm all for British stuff but not if its mechanical and I want it to last.
For the price kw variant 1's offer a brilliant setup from the factory. Unless your going racing on the track adjustables aren't worth the extra..and as for the german aspect.......
Lets face it its not a british car we drive now is it......
Very nice mk1 by the way mk1man..... Very nice indeed.
Old 7th August 2010, 04:25 PM

Yeah when someone said spax were British that put me of right away!
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 7th August 2010, 07:26 PM
a8xyr

spax are a UK company thats what sits well with me, i doubt the coilovers are made in the UK if i thought they were like u i would be worried ! If there is any problem dealing with a UK company is going to be better thats all i meant. I know nothing about coilovers, no experience I agree with the german comments when it comes to manufacturing, quality etc

Price is a big issue for me, I want to spend no more than £600. I am aware you get what you pay for which is a ****ter really Problem is i can't justify to myself spending more than that when the car is worth a few grand at the very most. hence my post http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2029 which doesn't seem to have caught on yet which is a shame if it did i could go to say £800- £900
Old 7th August 2010, 08:29 PM
UberSeniorChiefLibrarian

As we are debating what to go for I'll throw in my 2p worth. I just tried to by a KW kit and I have just asked for my money back as they have not been able to supply it. KW UK seem to have some issues.

Watch it if you dare

Currently,
2000 S8, Merlin Purple, Leather Pack 1, Winter Pack 1, SPAX adjustable suspension, AP Racing 6 pot front caliper, 385mm fully floating disks, EBC Yellow Stuff Pads, Black Diamond grooved rear disks and predetor pads, D2 Doctors Brake Block.
1997 4.2 A8SQ - the Projekt. 12 years and ongoing!
1997 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. Restoration sat waiting; saved from the Scrapyard
2003 C5 Allroad 4.2Q - Cobolt Blue. Towing car. Laid up awaiting manual conversion.
2005 C5 Allroad 2.5TDi FE - Grey - Workhorse.
2015 Q3QS SLine - Daytona Grey. Lots of extras! Long Haired Admirals cutter.

Previously
2003 C5 A6 1.9TDI FWD - Loaner from D2 Doctor Lifex
1997 S8 - Ming Blue. Loaned out and written off. I loved that car. My first engine swap after cambelt failure.
1996 4.2 A8SQ - Ming Blue. 178k on a cambelt! Trader's 8. Delivered to A8Parts at Lifex.
2003 2.8 A8SQ - powder blueish. Fill in for a while. Sold on.
1998 1.8T A4 Avant FWD. Ming Blue (there's a theme here), PEX for the 97 S8.
And a list of non VAG going back 40 years before I saw the light.
Old 7th August 2010, 09:11 PM

Maybe Ben @ AVP can help, I'm quite sure he helped develop the KW suspension for the C5 RS 6....
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds