A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 23rd April 2010, 09:16 AM

Default Wish me luck...

For tonight/this weekend I will be replacing the front arms on the '8 with a full set of meyle heavy duty arms!

I have most of the nuts n bolts from audi, so am ready to go.

An initial inspection last night revealed;
a. Despite weeks of wd40'ing the pinch bolt, it's still seized
b. I don't have a new bolt for the track rod end pinch bolt
c. The main knackerd joint causig my creaks and donks is a track rod end, but there are some others that are knackerd too, so it's a good job I'm doing it all.

I did some top arms on my old a4 diesel, so I know the score, but I'm not lookig forward to this one!

Can't wait to drive it afterwards though, especially once it's been 4wheel alighned.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 23rd April 2010, 10:44 AM

"May the force be with you..."

No seriously, best of luck with it. I just wish i had the space, confidence, and time to do these jobs - oh ya and not forgetting ability...

2000 A8 4.2 Quattro – Green, S8 18’s, Xenons, PhatBox, and loads of other toys.
Old 23rd April 2010, 11:21 AM

Good luck with that one!

It would be great to see a full how-to on this if you've got the time!

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 24th April 2010, 12:08 AM

Thanks for the support guys! Unfortunately the force wasn't with me tonight!

I would do a write up, there's already out there on audi pages and audi world. Although they don't mention how many hammers are needed!

So far I have. Jacked it up, removed the wheel, slackened most of the bolts, and wrestled with the pinch bolt, for ages, and ages, then the sun went down.
The track rod end pinch bolt is loose though, which us the other problem bolt; so as soon as the pinch bolt is out the drivers side should be relativly straight forward! Fingers crossed. Propper work commences tomo.
'02 S8 - Ebony Black Pearl, 'Swing' Grey Leather/Alcantara, PDC, Xenon Plus, Bose, Phone Prep, Navigation Plus, TV, auto dipping interior and exterior mirrors, UV/Solar Tint Glass, Ski Hatch, Extended leather pack 1, Rear Sun Blinds, Memory Driver & Passenger Seat, Heated Front Screen, Heated Rear Seats.

Old 24th April 2010, 07:47 AM

You probably just need a bigger hammer... Fixes most problems

I know.. I know..

Old 24th April 2010, 06:22 PM

here is the best german pinch bolt tool just for the alu a8 arms 210 euros ,
from agent here http://www.heni-werkzeuge.de/Shop-AU...UNGS-a540.html

full product description i put here,
http://wiki.quattroworld.com/images/..._bolt_tool.pdf

maybe club buy is appropriate.
one of my bolts is not coming out without it although it did 3 years ago.
this tool requires cutting the head off the bolt

Last edited by r8dream; 24th April 2010 at 06:29 PM.
Old 26th April 2010, 08:58 AM

I'm sure you need to replace the Pinch Bolts with new or they will slacken and you'll have a wheel facing 90 deg to the car, and if your on the motorway sat at 140 when it happens ouch.

I replaced my arms and only replaced the 2 bottom rear bolts that you have to cut to get out, after a few weeks i had a knocking start on NSF corner thought i was a bit odd. On checking found the pinch bolt was loose so i tightened it back up again, and again, Then i bit the bullit and get new bolts from the stealer 6 notes for the pair with nuts.

The nuts are ovel flange nuts so mash the thread as they're tightened.

Last edited by Dezzy; 26th April 2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:19 PM

It was done with all new nuts n bolts.

My plan to do it all last weekend fell through and i ended up only getting one side done and doing the other side yesterday.

Managed to get both pinch bolts out, one needed drilling out! what a mission, luckily the weather held (working outside - 3 bay garage but its not deep enough with the stuff i have in there infront of the '8!)

both my front tyres are heavily worn on the inside edge, so my first stop tomorrow morning is mitchel dever tyres for two tyres and 4 wheel laser alignment. because of this i havent really driven the car since finishing last night (they are VERY worn on the inside edge, but should get me to the tyre fitter OK) but the clonks are gone, as are the creaks, and it seems a lot quiter on the front end, i expect even more so with new tyres and alignment.

What was causing my clonks?
- Both track rod ends and torn their boots, dried out, and had 1mm+ of play in them!
- both ARB links where knackerd, with plenty of distortion in the bushes
- nearside top rear arm bush torn, with it off the car you could almost twist the inside all the way around
- all other bushes showed sign of tearing or excessive wear.

pretty shocking, but on the other hand not bad for 120k, on what is a know fault usually failing at around 80k. I assume the reason it lasted longer was it did very few miles in the last could of years until i bought it 2months ago, it was fine until about 5 weeks ago when the first knock developed and within 3 weeks of sourcing parts and time it was all shot!

Another job ticked off! on to the next...

Old 3rd May 2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
It was done with all new nuts n bolts.

My plan to do it all last weekend fell through and i ended up only getting one side done and doing the other side yesterday.

Managed to get both pinch bolts out, one needed drilling out! what a mission, luckily the weather held (working outside - 3 bay garage but its not deep enough with the stuff i have in there infront of the '8!)

both my front tyres are heavily worn on the inside edge, so my first stop tomorrow morning is mitchel dever tyres for two tyres and 4 wheel laser alignment. because of this i havent really driven the car since finishing last night (they are VERY worn on the inside edge, but should get me to the tyre fitter OK) but the clonks are gone, as are the creaks, and it seems a lot quiter on the front end, i expect even more so with new tyres and alignment.

What was causing my clonks?
- Both track rod ends and torn their boots, dried out, and had 1mm+ of play in them!
- both ARB links where knackerd, with plenty of distortion in the bushes
- nearside top rear arm bush torn, with it off the car you could almost twist the inside all the way around
- all other bushes showed sign of tearing or excessive wear.

pretty shocking, but on the other hand not bad for 120k, on what is a know fault usually failing at around 80k. I assume the reason it lasted longer was it did very few miles in the last could of years until i bought it 2months ago, it was fine until about 5 weeks ago when the first knock developed and within 3 weeks of sourcing parts and time it was all shot!

Another job ticked off! on to the next...
All you need now is some 20's, that is one helluva S8 you have there. Perfect even. I'd have it over a final edition in a shot.
So many S8's I currently have on my radar if owners were to sell. Ian's, James (Colour combo, tinted Xenon Pluses and KWs and concours winning!)Yours & Topgolfers.

Lock away your keys chaps
2009 Audi RS 6 Saloon V10 - 420mm Ceramics, Keyless, Soft Close, Adaptive Cruise, Glass Sunroof, Blinds, Twin Pane & UV, Freeview & DAB, High Beam Assist, MTM bits, Audi Exclusive Bits, MRC, Milltek, GYEF1 ASY2's, Bluetooth streaming music to AMI mod - 753 PS/1021 NM
2016 Audi S3 Saloon, Sepang, S-Tronic - B&O, Tech Pack etc... Company Car
1995 Audi A8 4.2 V8 quattro Sport - Bose, Solar, Blinds
Old 3rd May 2010, 08:30 PM

Thanks for the kind words. I love the colours of yours, fancy a swap?! :P

Next job is to sort the AV input from my phone and decide where to mount my iphone!

But your right, i REALLY need to sort some 20s!