A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Transmission

D2 - Transmission Gearboxes, diffs, drive shafts.

Old 2nd October 2014, 01:29 AM

if you are changing gearbox oil, you'll probably need more than 8 litres as you lose some of the new stuff flushing the old stuff out
2000 FL D2 4.2 QS - SOLD 2011

Old 2nd October 2014, 08:33 AM

What's in there already is fresh - was changed 3 years ago so it's only a service change. Capacity is 9 litres incl torque converter and it doesn't need flushing

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd October 2014, 10:52 AM

did you actually need the splined shaft or was that just being changed while the seal was being changed?

It appears I had the old part number listed for the seal
Old 2nd October 2014, 11:34 AM

The shaft is redesigned with an additional groove to allow a seal to be fitted with a longer lip, giving a larger sealing face

Car has done 60k with the old design but I figured it was a worthwhile exercise to do both - given the Laird's experience of a recurrent leak using the old style seal that's probably justified the decision to myself, although the 1.7mm install depth seems awfully specific!

2011 S5 Sportback in Phantom Black with black Super Sports leather, 9x20s, tech pack high, adaptive xenon plus, intelligent key, memory seats pack, sunroof, B&O, Audi Drive Select & quattro Sports Diff, DAB, parking system plus

2015 VW Golf GTI Performance Pack in Carbon Grey with black Vienna leather, tech pack (Discovery Pro nav & Dynaudio), DCC, factory towbar and retrofit RVC
Old 2nd October 2014, 01:19 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Makies are saying that they need the gearbox number to ensure that they get the right parts! Is that right? And how easy/difficult is it to get at that?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 2nd October 2014, 02:02 PM

It is very easy to find. Put car on ramps. Get under the car. At the very bottom of gearbox flange where it joins with the engine you will see a plate with everything.

Don't know how to get that serial number without getting under the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1612.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	296.2 KB
ID:	9153  
Old 2nd October 2014, 02:41 PM

Location: Redmile: Leics, Notts, Lincs border - near Belvoir Castle

Thanks Sergey

Does the under tray have to be removed as well?
Current mods: solar sun roof, 20mm rear spacers, 15 mm on front, red brembo callipers, 6k headlights, rear view camera, engine remap, alloy dash dial rings, alloy navi rings, tt/phaeton pedal upgrade, (and custom matching foot rest) dension ipod interface & parrot hands free kit (both fully hidden), av input, tv in motion switched thro' PF switch in blanking plug right of steering column, Audi 'quattro' sill covers, repositioned centre console switches, radio clock, .
Planned mods: auto-dimming rear view mirror, dash cam (as steamship's), fit the ski hatch, refit philips drl's (or maybe not - nope, definitely not - horrible botch!).
Old 2nd October 2014, 03:03 PM

No Jim.

But the gearbox undertray that I've retrofitted needs to be removed

Last edited by notorious; 2nd October 2014 at 03:08 PM.
Old 2nd October 2014, 03:04 PM

TPS should be able to supply part numbers but it's whether zf can convert them into useful info

The shaft came in an Audi box with no zf branding evident. Mine's getting fitted tomorrow

Old 2nd October 2014, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notorious View Post
It is very easy to find. Put car on ramps. Get under the car. At the very bottom of gearbox flange where it joins with the engine you will see a plate with everything.

Don't know how to get that serial number without getting under the car.
Cheers for that Sergey. Just posted a thread asking that very question. On mine, the undertray covers the plate, but I just took a snapshot with my mobile in one hand and a torch in the other.

And here's a snapshot of my 'ramps'.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20141002_160740017.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	276.0 KB
ID:	9154  

My DIY jobs - Replaced alarm horn, Replaced Coolant Temp sensor, Updated RNS-D firmware, Installed Reversing Camera and Digital TV, Dashcam Installation, Retrofitted Rear Blinds, Auto-Dimming Rear View Mirror, Chrome Boot Struts

Sold! 2008 S8 D3 5.2 V10 - Engine: BSM, Gearbox:KLW, Colour:LY7F Suzuka Grey Pearl Effect, Interior:Black/Black with Silver/Black valcona leather with carbon atlas inserts, Bang & Olufsen, Heated windscreen, Soft-close doors, TV, DAB, AMI, Quad Zone, Auto Boot, Auto dim Mirrors, Keyless entry, PDC with rearview camera, AFS II Headlights

My DIY jobs - Fan Jet Windscreen Washers, Retrofitted Electric Side Blinds