A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 24th December 2013, 07:49 PM

Default OSF xenon bulb replacement

Hi,

So it had to give up the ghost right whilst I'm on a roadtrip didn't it?

I just wondered where people get their replacements, what the type of bulb is and what brand, colour people go for?

Am thinking mine might be a D2S and 4300k but not sure so wanted to check.

Cheers,

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group

Last edited by Oli18; 1st January 2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 26th December 2013, 08:48 PM

Bump - if anyone has some insight that would be great.

Cheers,

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Old 27th December 2013, 12:13 AM

Having looked at various options last week I fitted a pair of these to replace the very dim factory fitted lamps, I figured for a tenner I didn't have much to loose compared to much more for branded versions.

I have been pleasantly surprised and it really did highlight just how dim the old ones had got, it was like upgrading from candles
Old 27th December 2013, 09:52 AM

They are indeed D2S. 4300k should be closest to the factory xenons. I just bought some cheap £12 bulbs off eBay rather than a named brand and have been perfectly happy with them.
- Aqua Blue D2 S8 - Grey leather/Alcantara
- D3 A8 3.0 CVT
- D3 3.7 V8
Old 27th December 2013, 09:57 AM

Cheap D2S from Ebay does the job. Regarding Colour i absolutely prefer 6000K
1993 Audi S4 2.2 TQ MTM 330 (my first love!)
Old 27th December 2013, 11:17 AM

I bought some cheapies off eBay and ended up replacing them as they were not as bright as the ones before.

Just bought some standard 4300k Phillips from eBay and put them in yesterday, much better results and the car is back as it should be.

Osram seem to be very expensive and Euro Car Parts/ Car parts 4 less are also pricey.
Old 28th December 2013, 07:52 AM

Thanks all for the replies - will probably go down eBay 5000k like paulrstaylor

Cheers,

Oli

Last edited by Oli18; 28th December 2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 1st January 2014, 01:04 PM

Default How to change Xenon bulbs

Hi,

So thanks for all the info earlier. I managed to replace my headlight and upgrade to 5000k in the process.

I ended up reading quite a bit on how to change the lights and found that many people had found it challenging. On the whole i saw that people recommend putting the car on a ramp and accessing the bulb from behind the wheel arch liner or by unscrewing 4 bolts of the headlight and pulling it forward to get better access.

I managed to do it without either of these and found it relatively easy once i knew figures out how to make sure i aligned the ballast properly.

Step 1: remove airfilter housings to gain better access.

Step 2: remove bulb cover. It is held in place with 1 small torx screw and 2 clips you just press to open

Step 3: turn the ballast 45% left to allow it to be taken off and unclip the power to it so you can completely separate the ballast.

Step 4: push the metal clips that hold the bulb in place so that you can remove the bulb

Step 5: remove bulb. Note the position of the existing bulb to make insertion of the new bulb easier. You can see from mine how it had failed. When i removed the NSF bulb, i also found it was similarly cloudy.

Step 6: insert new bulb - be careful not to touch the glass with you hands as it affects the life of the bulb.

Step 7: push metal clips back in place

Step 8: WITHOUT the power cable connected to the ballast, put the ballast over the bulb at a 45 degree angle and turn right to attach it back on. Only AFTER fitment, push in the power cable. The reason for this is because there is a clear/yellow ring inside the ballast that needs to line up for you to be able to push and twist the ballast on properly. It took me ages to figure out that by having the power cable on before you do this, the clear/yellow ring misaligns and you can't fit it properly.

Really pleased with the 5000k bulbs - total cost was £10.50

Many thanks again for the help above.

Oli

Last edited by Oli18; 1st January 2014 at 05:54 PM.