Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Everything Else

D3 - Everything Else Anything that doesnt fit elsewhere

Old 11th March 2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottB5 View Post
That fridge is brilliant.

can you retrofit one?

Nice build thread.
Yes you can but you'll have to search hard to find a fridge...they're pretty rare to find and I've only ever seen 1.

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 18th May 2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architex_mA8tey View Post
Excuse my OCD attack Oli but is that from number plate just a teeny tad wonky?
Most definitely not! Have measured to check

Have been a little quiet on the forum of late due to a house renovation but having had the aircon recharged twice in 4 months, a leak was attributed to a leak in the aircon condenser which had a significant stone chip.

A new condenser & £400 later and it's fixed and icey cold again

I just wanted to thank Dave@A8parts as they were brilliant but unfortunately my garage went with a local supplier in case the part fails within the warranty period - I think my garage will be using A8Parts for future needs though and they were very impressed with them

That's another thing ticked off the list.

Next will be a full front end resprayed from KDS - i had to book it 3 months in advance (they're that popular given their detailing expertise) and it's going in over the next 2 weeks.

If you haven't seen it before, Kelly@KDS became famous after doing this Audi A8 to S8 conversion. He is the wet sand master and having recently done a KDS detailing course with a mate, very very knowledgable..

Watch this space

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Last edited by Oli18; 18th May 2014 at 07:00 AM.
Old 18th May 2014, 08:36 PM

Just a few pics of the S8 grille being prepped before it gets fitted...

Before:

Taking off the S8 logo from the backing plate so it can be re-used:

Made a handsaw and took off the screw holes on the back of the new Quattro badge:

Trial fit:

Letting the magic of Araldite do it's thing:

After:

Last edited by Oli18; 24th May 2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 31st May 2014, 02:02 PM

Just dropped off the 8 with Kelly @ KDS just now for the front end respray...

...can't wait to get it back!

Old 24th June 2014, 10:40 PM

So unfortunately the front end respray didn't work out. There had been a miscommunication and the costs we're going to be in excess of what i wanted to pay for it.

That said, I'm glad as whilst i still want the bumper done, I managed get some great results on the bonnet and boot lid using Meguiars' DA correction system (see here a great link explaining it on YouTube). I can't say enough good stuff about this system:

Overall, when you get the Megs G220, special backing pad, cutting/finishing pads and cutting and polishing compound, the results are near perfect...astonishing given we're talking about a DA here, not a rotary.

It took me the best part of 4 hrs to wash and clay the car and then correct the bootlid and bonnet but it was very rewarding seeing the difference. It also gave me an excuse to use a new toy - a sun light - an absolute must in order to see the swirls when you haven't got the sun out.

Some snowfoam action:

Priming the cutting pad with the cutting compound - this stage does 95% of the work which then is following by the finishing pad and compound:

A little video with sun-gun of half-the bootlid - now with swirls removed...

http://youtu.be/XYDlR-zP-_8

The bootlid done:

Bonnet - the right side done as you stand in front of it:

Before:

After:

Video with sun-gun of bonnet half done:

http://youtu.be/302L4nWDrlQ

The finished article:

Overall, a big thumbs up from me on this system...Audi paint is hard as nails and so trying to remove swirls is always going to be tough - especially with a DA. This however is a great bit of kit and should suit the majority of enthusiasts.

Now just to do the sides and roof...

Last edited by Oli18; 26th June 2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 25th June 2014, 08:00 AM

Great work Oli, I loved this car when you first got it but it just keeps getting better and better! I hope to see it again in the flesh eventually, it must look stunning

Audi D3 S8 - 2007 - V10. B&O, Phantom Black, black and silver interior, and still completely standard with everything working as it should

Audi TT - 2015 - Ultra
Old 25th June 2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norretal View Post
Great work Oli, I loved this car when you first got it but it just keeps getting better and better! I hope to see it again in the flesh eventually, it must look stunning
Thanks Norretal - I must admit the longer i have it, the more i love it

That said, I am envious of your v10...it looks stunning in grey!

Old 25th June 2014, 03:02 PM

Im buying a DAS6 soon to get the swirls out of mine - Black is a nightmare!

Gonna use ultimate compound me thinks
Old 29th June 2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
Im buying a DAS6 soon to get the swirls out of mine - Black is a nightmare!

Gonna use ultimate compound me thinks
Awesome Palmer - let us know how you get on - would love to see the befores and afters

Oli

Old 8th July 2014, 08:29 AM

Hi,

Unfortunately, a previous paint job (pre ownership by Ian or myself) on my 8's bumper and wing had been poorly done and left the front end looking tatty. Poor painting, lack of shine and depth, over-spray, and the usual stone chips were all visible. For someone that loves his 8 clean and detailed, it's torture!

Having looked at a few garages, I settled on a local one and just wanted to share a quick work in progress of the 8 looking sorry for itself as it undergoes its front end respray (bumper and wings). The bumper is being prepped and the wings have been sanded back down.

Getting the paint code for Audi Exclusive paint was a bit of a pain...the build sticker does not feature it so a few calls to Audi and Ingolstadt and we now have a paint code.

Once the bumper goes on, it will also get the new S8 grille fitted.

Watch this space

Oli

Last edited by Oli18; 8th July 2014 at 08:40 AM.

Tags
4.2, audi, tdi