A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D2 > D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering

D2 - Axles, Brakes, Suspension and Steering Brakes, Springs, shocks, steering racks, steering columns, suspension arms, wheel hubs etc.

Old 22nd August 2010, 10:39 PM

Default ABS kicks in when slowing down

I changed my rear brake discs today...and decided to give the abs sensors a clean....I didnt have a problem before, but i decided to clean as when i cleaned the front sensors the gearbox became so much smoother....

Well anyway...after cleaning them and putting them back in...i got that problem that is caused by a dirty sensor.....when i slow down to a stop the abs kicks in...very annoying....

Was wondering does anyone know how far the sensor is meant go in to the hole....i m thinking i push the sensor too far and possibly damaged it...but i dont have any abs codes or abs warning lights...so not sure why i m getting trouble....

any ideas would be appreciated???????????
Old 23rd August 2010, 02:42 PM

It goes in pretty far.. I'd pop it back out and check.

You may also not have pushed it in far enough

I know.. I know..

Old 24th August 2010, 07:33 PM

Check the ABS rings that they are clean as well and push sensor all the way in.
Old 24th August 2010, 08:42 PM

Hi,

This may be useful.

http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthrea...1456#post11456

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 24th August 2010, 11:19 PM

Default abs problem solved....

Thanks for your replies....

well guys turns out that when i pulled the abs sensor...there was lots of rust type debris that had built up inside the housing....and unfortunately i didnt bother cleaning the inside of the housing....now when i was putting the sensor back in, because it was such a tight fit I tapped the sensor back into place....as i was tapping the sensor all the crap in the housing was coming loose as dust particles.....now this is the key point...the tip of the sensor is magnetic so the dust particles were sticking to the sensor....therefore unknown to me my nice clean sensor was becoming dirty as I was knocking it back into place....which led to my dirty abs sensor problem...which presents itself as a jerk noisy stop.....

so now i finally managed to get the sensor back in place without getting them dirty...however I m sure at some point i m gona have to pull the hub bearing housing off to get all the rusty crap out......

Before i pulled the sensors, I didnt have a problem....I just thought might be good idea to give the sensors a clean while i m doing the rear brakes....but in trying to solve this problem i ended up taking the brakes on and off three times...which hasnt been the most exciting thing to do in the world....so i think the moral of the story is....'Don't try to fix something that ain;t broke.....just leave it be....'