A8 Parts Forum  

Go Back   A8 Parts Forum > A8 D3 > D3 - Lights

D3 - Lights Headlights, xenons, foglights. Everything outside the car that glows

Old 13th November 2013, 08:35 PM

Default DRL '' retrofit '' in the headlight with P21W

Hi
This isn't a breaking news or something what wasn't done before I believe coz I can't be the first one with my average skills but I will share it anyway

I've just finished retrofitting Bi-xenon cornering AFS headlights (still wiring the AFS modules so not quiet completed yet) and first thing I couldn't stand were the halogen DRLs
Ugghhh, so ugly.

So, I've spent £41 on LEDs, plus some scotch locks, VCDS and I was ready to enjoy the awsome difference.

First of all I ordered some P21W CREE LEDs

and some 501 SMD LEDs (very important to get this exact construction 501s, will explain later)

The next obvious thing I did is I swapped the original 501s and P21Ws with the LEDs above.

[IMG][/IMG]

Then there is a little trick which enables DRLs at all the time (VCDS lets you switch them on and off via MMI) and dims them when you switch the main beam, basically they will work exactly as original headlights with LEDs just follow this steps.

Get the 2 scotch locks per headlight and connect sidelight's positive wire with DRL's positive, sidelight-red DRL-white, like that

[IMG][/IMG]

Then put everything back together (and I do not remover wheel arches or reservoir, only air box for this ''upgrade)

Then connect VCDS and go to Central Electronics [09], then to Coding [07] and change 3rd digit to 3 ---> Bi-xenon headlights with LED DRL.

Also you can select if you want DRLs to be included in MMI menu.

Click DO IT then close controller and you done

NO resistors
NO errors
NOTHING

And the effect:

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
2015 A3 S line 1.4 TFSI - for the missus to keep her away from my car.
Standard S-line equipment, no extras.
2006 D3 A8 3.7 V8 - SOLD but not forgotten
Old 13th November 2013, 08:58 PM

I did this but just stuck a heavily tinned-ended wire into the gap on the back of each plug.

The first LED bulbs were pretty good, but started to burn out after 3 months
http://dx.com/s/100619

Next these which also flickered after 3 months.
2nd http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/224024448.html

These are even brighter, very OE look, but as soon as they are on, my DAB radio turns to bubble and squeak. They must emit some RF which is a big shame. The previous ones didn't despite looking similar. Glad I didm't start replacing radio parts, just found the damn radio started working fine when I turned ignition off and narrowed it down to the DRL.
3rd http://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/248859848.html

Maybe I'll they these next?
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Hot-S...255378976.html
Old 13th November 2013, 09:08 PM

Hi

To be honest I do expect them to go wrong within next few months and if they do I will just ask for my money back as they come with 1 year warranty, right.

It's my first try so at the minute experimenting but the 501s are the top class, got them around year ago and they still running.

Also seems like CREE chips in car lighting are a fairly new thing, but if they go wrong next I will try P21ws from

http://www.hsun-lightings.com/

I've heard quiet few good things about this manufacturer.

We will see

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Ceramic Brakes, Bang&Olufsen, DTV, DAB, Rear Camera, BT, TPMS, Soft Close, Auto Boot, AMI , 4 Zone AC, Home Link, All Electric Blinds, Fingerprint, Ski Hatch, Black Extended Leather, Heated Sport Seats, Alacantra, Carbon Trim inc Aluminium Pack 2.
Old 13th November 2013, 09:39 PM

Thanks for the link and 501 tips. Good luck! It's a great upgrade.
Old 14th November 2013, 08:57 AM

My apologies, this thread is absolutely pointless, I've just realised that Snapdragon done it already some time ago and there is all already explained.
Sorry

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 14th November 2013, 09:06 AM

Oh don't be like that I don't even know where mine is, and good to have an update. Keep us posted if your bulbs go or you change them.
Old 14th November 2013, 08:08 PM

Looks great in the pictures!

The 501s are these I take it?

Do you happen to have a link for the P21Ws?

Can I just check...is it really white ... Not a big fan of the blueish white.

Cheers!

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 16th November 2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
Looks great in the pictures!

The 501s are these I take it?

Do you happen to have a link for the P21Ws?

Can I just check...is it really white ... Not a big fan of the blueish white.

Cheers!

Oli

Hi Oli
Yeah sure but let me answer your questions.

The 501 I got from HIDS Direct,

http://www.hids-direct.co.uk/501-w5w...bulbs-white-1/

crisp white, no messing around mate, very white, no blueish at all, £15 and this is the best construction and looks like electronics as well on the market. I've got them I think around a year and they are on all the time. Construction-the ''PCBs'' crossing each other and its a one solid unit, I've seen heads desoldering from the base because of heat? and falling into the headlight, here impossible.

P21W, crisp crisp white, very white
But, if you wire them as per my other thread and snapdragon's original idea and code them as LED DRL in VCDS then when they are dimmed they look a bit yellow, yeah, yellow, and thats because the material on main 4 big LEDs is yellow (crisp white when on) so when they are dimmed (Xenons ON) that yellow reflects and looks a bit yellow when compared to 8000K Xenons.

But I am thinking to put some relays (check this thread http://forum.a8parts.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7203) to keep them crisp white at all times.

P21W, the link below is for the ones I got, £27, but if you can get HSUNs then please do coz they at least have some reputation where the ones I've got are unknown brand to me because I wasn't really hoping for much and didn't think that through.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2613073279...84.m1439.l2649

http://www.hsun-lightings.com/

Check the pictures again, both bulbs are always on and no matter if it's night or day you can't see any yellow light whatsoever.

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10
Old 3rd December 2013, 09:43 PM

Having seen Marcin's 8 in the flesh today, I must say the DRL upgrade is one of the best light mods I've come across so far! Well worth considering

Oli

CURRENT: 2006 Audi A8 D3 4.2 Tdi QS - CLICK HERE FOR PROJECT THREAD: Audi Exclusive Azure Blue, Amaretto brown interior, facelift rear lights, S8 mirrors, B&O, ACC, Digital TV, glass sunroof, Fridge, Extended Leather Pack 2, wooden steering wheel & gearknob, keyless entry, keyless start, electric boot, softclose doors

SOLD : 2000 FL Silver D2 4.2 QS - Solar sunroof, Bose, Blinds, NavPlus, Playstation, DVD, wireless headphones, iPhone AV connection, RS6 steering wheel, chrome mirrors, phone prep, xenons, servotronic steering, Rear screen, TV-in-motion, NavPlus Alu rings, S8 exhaust, S8 bonnet grille, 385mm D3 S8 brakes, rubber winter mats, De-badged rear, US rear indicator clusters, 20" Final Edition diamond cut wheels, 15mm Eibach Pro spacers (front), 20mm H&R hubcentric spacers (rear).

Audi A8/S8 D2 Flickr Group
Old 4th December 2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oli18 View Post
Having seen Marcin's 8 in the flesh today, I must say the DRL upgrade is one of the best light mods I've come across so far! Well worth considering

Oli
...and here is the reason why?? taken last night, P21W halogen DRL vs LED DRL

[IMG][/IMG]

...and here Oli are the other types I would consider to avoid that bright yellow reflection from main LEDs when dimmed while Xenon is on.

http://www.hsun-lightings.com/produc...IGH-POWER.html

Go for it mate, I've seen your reaction You love it!!!

PS. Could help with that as well if you decide to come and do the bumper as mentioned in the S8 grill thread.

Speak to you soon

2006 D3 S8 5.2 V10